How to Make a Birdbath

I wanted to make a simple birdbath so I had the idea of using PVC piping. Then I bought a white plastic tray at Joann Fabrics and glued that to the top of the PVC pipe. Wala! Birdbath!!

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Linda B

• Diane Polander
    Diane Polander

How did you get it to stand ? Did you put it over a post ?

• Linda B
      Linda B

Actually, that's a really great idea, Diane. No, I just dug a hole. Put it in deep. The post idea is the way to go.

• Jessieann
      Jessieann

Or you could use 4 1/4 inch rebar cut to about 4 feet long. Pounded into soil about 2 feet or more if you live where it is windy and then set your PVC pipe over them.

• Cheri L. Howard
      Cheri L. Howard

You can use a block of wood and rubber mallet to hammer into the ground, make sure it's level or adjust, then glue or epoxy the plastic tray to the top. If you want to attract & feed butterflies, use a round glass plate and clear waterproof glue the colored glass rounds to the plate. Add more clear glue over the glass rounds. 2 days to dry, keep dry till the .

• Anderjanet
      Anderjanet

We have had 3 sets of blackbird chicks hatch in our yard this summer and I have been thinking about a birdbath, this could be an inexpensive way to go though I will have to get some special glue and keep my eyes peeled for a suitable tray

• Bernice H
      Bernice H

How do you clean the ick after a couple of days? Just hose it off?

• Debbie Kuhar
      Debbie Kuhar

Very nice

• Debbie Prettyman
      Debbie Prettyman

Just note that glass will freeze and break if left out in the winter. I thought with a wide glass top I’d be okay😢. Nope so be prepared to be able to remove or keep dry during the winter. A water proof bag covered with interesting fabric that breathes like linen and fairy lights might do the trick!

• Debbie Prettyman
      Debbie Prettyman

The tall glass vase holding up the clear glass bowl. The vase is fine. The glass bowl shattered when filled with water overnight. It was all covered with fairy lights and beautiful at night.

• Pat Erdmann
    Pat Erdmann

How do you attach the tray

• Judi
    Judi

This is so pretty. Did I miss how you cleaned it & how often it needs to be cleaned?

• Carey
    Carey

If you have an old satellite dish, it makes a perfect birdbath or a butterfly watering station and it doesn't break if it freezes. You can get a small metal fence post that you can pound into the ground and place your PVC pipe over it and then it is easily removed for cleaning and replaced once clean. Decorate for winter then in the spring return to birdbath status! This sounds much nicer than the fancy one that I bought but have to take in each winter so it doesn't get broken! I am going to do this!

Another birdbath redo! I found a concrete birdbath some years ago for $2.50. IT was shaped like a flower with petals up and petals down. Some of them had chipped and I took the top off to repair it with some quickcrete. I had it almost finished when my husband began clearing junk out of the yard. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that one of the things that he tossed was my Bird bath pedestal! For a long time, I left it in my garden on top of a bucket and continued using it as a bird bath. Trouble was, I had a pond that the birds liked a lot better.

I was weeding in my garden one day and suddenly thought, I could turn that into a Succulent garden, by just adding soil. & the plants! It has turned out to be a perfect solution! See Picture below.

The robins would stand on the rocks at the edge of my pond, take their bath, drink and leave. A really funny incident that I witnessed one day, about 5 robins were busy taking turns taking their bath, while one sat on a fence post nearby and watched the entire procedure. After they all left, he flew down, stood on a rock but not in the water. He went through all the motions that he had seen the other robins go through but didn't get wet at all. When he was finished, he too left. I have always wandered if that robin eventually figured out the he had to get wet to really get clean! : )

• Kim
      Kim

That is such a cute Robin story. Batman would’ve set him straight. Okay, not funny but, I just had to. I really love your idea about using old satellite dishes. I have a couple, (front & back yards), and I will definitely make good use of them using a combination of things I’ve learned from this conversation. Thank you so much for sharing 🙂

• Kathe
    Kathe

I painted our old satellite dish bright green. Previously I bought a used dining table because I needed the glass top. The pedestal was metal and I kept it and put the dish on it. It's just perfect. water in summer. seed in winter (Utah) Our birds love it!