Linda B
Linda B
  • Trumbull, CT

How to Make a Birdbath

I wanted to make a simple birdbath so I had the idea of using PVC piping. Then I bought a white plastic tray at Joann Fabrics and glued that to the top of the PVC pipe. Wala! Birdbath!!
how to make a birdbath, diy, gardening, how to, pets animals
Linda B

• Diane Polander

How did you get it to stand ? Did you put it over a post ?

• Linda B

Actually, that's a really great idea, Diane. No, I just dug a hole. Put it in deep. The post idea is the way to go.

• Jessieann

Or you could use 4 1/4 inch rebar cut to about 4 feet long. Pounded into soil about 2 feet or more if you live where it is windy and then set your PVC pipe over them.

• Cheri L. Howard

You can use a block of wood and rubber mallet to hammer into the ground, make sure it's level or adjust, then glue or epoxy the plastic tray to the top. If you want to attract & feed butterflies, use a round glass plate and clear waterproof glue the colored glass rounds to the plate. Add more clear glue over the glass rounds. 2 days to dry, keep dry till the .

• Anderjanet

We have had 3 sets of blackbird chicks hatch in our yard this summer and I have been thinking about a birdbath, this could be an inexpensive way to go though I will have to get some special glue and keep my eyes peeled for a suitable tray

• Bernice H

How do you clean the ick after a couple of days? Just hose it off?

• Debbie Kuhar

Very nice

• Debbie Prettyman

Just note that glass will freeze and break if left out in the winter. I thought with a wide glass top I’d be okay😢. Nope so be prepared to be able to remove or keep dry during the winter. A water proof bag covered with interesting fabric that breathes like linen and fairy lights might do the trick!

• Debbie Prettyman

The tall glass vase holding up the clear glass bowl. The vase is fine. The glass bowl shattered when filled with water overnight. It was all covered with fairy lights and beautiful at night.

• Pat Erdmann

How do you attach the tray

• Judi

This is so pretty. Did I miss how you cleaned it & how often it needs to be cleaned?

• Kauai Breeze

Those big heavy duty plastic saucers for plants make great birdbaths and bird feeders. I just set them in my garden, on a piece of log, a rock, or just on the ground. For feeders, I drill 4 holes in the rim and use twine for the hanger. Drill a few little holes in the bottom for drainage. Larger birds like cardinals, blue jays, and robins like the open feeders.

• Bridget Corbett

i want to make one for my in town salon