How to Make an Old Couch New Again for $10

I may have mentioned a few - or a million - times how much I love my living room couch. Well, after two years of lovin', my beloved couch was starting to show some wear. The notorious mystery spots were starting to appear and some wrinkles and sags were forming in the cushions. Time to start Mission: Couch Rejuvenation ...

If the picture above looks familiar to you, don't worry, you're not alone! Good news is though, there's a fix. And it's simpler than you might think...

I started by removing the cushion covers and washing them. You don't want to dry them or they might shrink, but a good wash is always a good idea.

To wash the covers, I had to unload the "fluff" from the back cushions.

I labeled the "fluff" taken from the back cushions so I wouldn't get confused when it was time to re-stuff. Some of that stuffing gets compacted over time, so it might also be a good idea to add just a bit of filling in with the old.

I used this quilt batting ($9.99 at Walmart) to beef up the seat cushions.

I simply trimmed the batting and wrapped it around the bottom cushions to boost their fluff-ability. Yep. That's the technical term. ;)

I re-stuffed the back cushions and put the covers back on the new beefed-up cushions. Clean, full, and full-bodied, now my couch looks as good as new!

Like new again ...

My old beloved couch is my new favorite couch once again!

Now if I can just keep this guy off the couch.

31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Living Rich on Less - Susan

• Mary Njus
    Mary Njus

Amazing result! It’s a shame furniture doesn’t hold its shape after 1 year of use. The case with my sofa. I tried the fiberfill but over stuffed and it didn’t settle evenly. How did you get the cases on with batting? Maybe my cushions don’t open enough? I’m also impressed how clean your carpet is too! Lol thanks for sharing.

• Charise.
      Charise.

Soooo, if your sofa is overfilled, by YOU, couldn't you simply de-to your satisfaction (...or, SITisfaction lol)?

• Judy
    Judy

How did you clean the body of the sofa?

• Beth
      Beth

Charise, I have no idea either what "loop" is, but I assume when she says she washed them that she means in the washing machine. She says not to dry them, so I assume she means to let them air dry. Look on your sofa label under the bottom cushions. If it has an "S" on it, that means "solvent" and indicates that the fabric should be dry-cleaned, or spot cleaned with a dry cleaning solvent - so you could take them to the dry cleaners as long as you instruct them not to dry them. If it has a "W" on it, that means it can be cleaned with water-based cleaners (a mild soap and water cleaning solution). However, and this is important, make this solution with distilled water, not tap water, if you are spot cleaning. Tap water's chemicals will leave a ring around the area where you cleaned. But they can go in the washer otherwise, since the whole thing is being washed. Just air dry.

• Gloria Jean Edwards Fuller
    Gloria Jean Edwards Fuller

If back cushions are attached how can you restuff them mine are sagging down bad I thought about tacking them with fishing line but afraid will tear material

• Charise.
      Charise.

Imagine the "duh" on this one! "...a zipper! Who knew?" lol!

• Janice Mack
    Janice Mack

Not really a question but advice - no no no definitely keep that handsome guy up on the couch right beside you as much as you can- maybe splurge for a waterproofing spray that will last awhile to make any diet or spills just wipe right off!

• Sharon
      Sharon

I agree, pets are the spice of life :) I just use a doggie blanket. He can come on the couch as long as he's on his blanket :)

• Meropi papadaki
    Meropi papadaki