How to Make an Old Couch New Again for $10

I may have mentioned a few - or a million - times how much I love my living room couch. Well, after two years of lovin', my beloved couch was starting to show some wear. The notorious mystery spots were starting to appear and some wrinkles and sags were forming in the cushions. Time to start Mission: Couch Rejuvenation ...

If the picture above looks familiar to you, don't worry, you're not alone! Good news is though, there's a fix. And it's simpler than you might think...

I started by removing the cushion covers and washing them. You don't want to dry them or they might shrink, but a good wash is always a good idea.

To wash the covers, I had to unload the "fluff" from the back cushions.

I labeled the "fluff" taken from the back cushions so I wouldn't get confused when it was time to re-stuff. Some of that stuffing gets compacted over time, so it might also be a good idea to add just a bit of filling in with the old.

I used this quilt batting ($9.99 at Walmart) to beef up the seat cushions.

I simply trimmed the batting and wrapped it around the bottom cushions to boost their fluff-ability. Yep. That's the technical term. ;)

I re-stuffed the back cushions and put the covers back on the new beefed-up cushions. Clean, full, and full-bodied, now my couch looks as good as new!

Like new again ...

My old beloved couch is my new favorite couch once again!

Now if I can just keep this guy off the couch.

Living Rich on Less - Susan

• Mary Njus

Amazing result! It’s a shame furniture doesn’t hold its shape after 1 year of use. The case with my sofa. I tried the fiberfill but over stuffed and it didn’t settle evenly. How did you get the cases on with batting? Maybe my cushions don’t open enough? I’m also impressed how clean your carpet is too! Lol thanks for sharing.

• Ida9464

My couches are almost ten years old and is still very full and right exactly like when we bought it. It’s Drexel and the stuff pillows super well, so maybe that’s it? We live on the couches so I am super pleased. In the past, by now we have had couches that look like they belong in the landfill. If they ever sag, though, I will try this!

• Judy

How did you clean the body of the sofa?

• Gloria Jean Edwards Fuller

If back cushions are attached how can you restuff them mine are sagging down bad I thought about tacking them with fishing line but afraid will tear material

• Sarahjane Crowley

Is there a zipper on the bottom of the attached cusions? If so, you can use a yard stick to rearrange the fluff batting inside, and also add more stuffing. It worked really well for me :). After a while they will start to sag a bit again but you can always go back in there with hands and yard sticks to rearrange. I paid particular attention to stuffing the upper corners and making sure the amount of fluff on the bottom supported the top fluff. If they are attached, you could decide whether it is possible to make a small incision somewhere that could be easily hidden and restiched afterwards. Good luck!

• Janice Mack

Not really a question but advice - no no no definitely keep that handsome guy up on the couch right beside you as much as you can- maybe splurge for a waterproofing spray that will last awhile to make any diet or spills just wipe right off!

• Sharon

I agree, pets are the spice of life :) I just use a doggie blanket. He can come on the couch as long as he's on his blanket :)

• Meropi papadaki