How to Make an Old Couch New Again for $10

I may have mentioned a few - or a million - times how much I love my living room couch. Well, after two years of lovin', my beloved couch was starting to show some wear. The notorious mystery spots were starting to appear and some wrinkles and sags were forming in the cushions. Time to start Mission: Couch Rejuvenation ...
how to make an old couch new again for 10, painted furniture
I started by removing the covers and washing them.
I labeled the "fluff" taken from the back cushions so I wouldn't get confused when it was time to re-stuff.
I used this quilt batting ($9.99 at Walmart) to beef up the cushions.
I simply trimmed the batting and wrapped it around the bottom cushions to boost their fluff-ability. Yep. That's the technical term. ;)
I put the covers back on the new beefed-up cushions and now my couch looks as good as new.
Like new again ...
Like new again ...
Like new again ...
Like new again ...
Now if I can just keep this guy off the couch.
Living Rich on Less - Susan

• Ruthie Hernandez

My couches are down, any suggestions?

• Hb

Add more down LOL !

• Hb

oops hit the wrong button and it sent the reply before I was finished. If you are looking for sources for down .....buy a down comforter and take it apart to use the down . Sales on down comforters happen all the time and especially in the US it wouldnt cost an arm and a leg.

• Lindy

If your down couch is like mine the "down" part is actually a separate cushion cover over foam. You can remove it and fluff in the dryer.I have washed one that was on a chair and it was fine. The dry time is a process of of shaking the wet cushion covers every once in awhile to redistribute the feathers through the dry cycle. You want it to be bone dry to avoid mold or mildew on the down. You can still wrap the batting around the cushions before putting them back in the cover

• Mim6405194

When drying down or any comforter use tennis balls in the dryer. It fluffs them as it dries.

• Terry

What kind of dog is that? Obviously a terrier and so cute. The couch remodel is great too!

• Md

Looks a bit like a Wheaten

• Lynnette

Aw, who cares about a little fur on the couch, he is adorable

• Linda Accurso

You did a wonderful job and it looks like you used some extra fluff for the loose pillows. If so, is there anything special I should use to fill them?

• 1de5066309

My cushions are attached to the back. How can I add more fill with out damaging the stitching? One sofa is leather and the other is fabric .

• Joan C

pull out the seat cushion, then feel the bottom of the back cushion, way in the back. mine has a zipper : ) i plan to unzip and add more stuffing. i am thinking if you lay the couch down on it's back (tip it over) it might be easier than trying to stuff it against gravity. good luck!

• Jackie

Joan , you are exactly right! I did this also. There was a zipper on the bottom, & I turned it upside down like you said, which made stuffing it pretty easy.Unfortunately my sofa was damaged from my cat using the ends as a scratching post. I bought an awesome slipcover @ Overstocks.com. It doesn't look like a slipcover @ all.My son thought I bought a new sofa!.& the cat has a new taller scratching post that he loves. He has never scratched the sofa again.

• Kate Corliss

Jackie-what was the brand of your new couch cover??

• Kristy Graham

How did you do the back cushions?

• Mary DeRose Petrino

It can only be done with loose cushions. I would try to steam clean attached cushions and then do the whole couch.

• Doris Schroeder Adamy

If the back cushions are attached, they probably have a zipper at the bottom edge. Remove the seat cushion so you can reach the zipper. You can add more stuffing or use a wooden dowel to adjust the existing stuffing. It's best to add stuffing in the center of the cushion (not directly under the fabric) so the finished result will be smoother on the surface, not lumpy or bumpy.

• Laura Petty Blessing

If my cushions say do not remove or wash can I still safely wash them? I wonder if it says that just so I buy a new couch. Lol help!

• Cindy

I have done mine in cold water and then air dried them with no problems.

• Constance Morgan

I do mine all the time. My washer has a no spin cycle and that's what I use to help with shrinkage

• GoddessOdd

I say it depends on your fabric. I have always done this, so when my white couch began to get a few spots, I decided a nice cool hand wash couldn't do any harm. WRONG. the cushion covers were never the same again. I can't even describe what happened to them: a little of everything, I guess. the fabric stretched, got water spots, discolored, and disintegrated at the seams. I would suggest you at least test a hidden spot before you try it... if they are really bad, resign yourself to the notion that you may have to replace the covers or the couch.

• Doris Schroeder Adamy

The fibers, the stability, and finish can all be affected by washing. Colors can run or fade, metallic accents can be ruined, etc. If a manufacturer recommends spot cleaning, that's definitely the safest way to clean it. Use water or solvents, only as directed.

• Marilyn

If the material doesn't survive the wash, you can use it as a template and replace it with contrasting material. Use excess material to cover small pillows.

• My cushions say the same thing. So, I took one armchair cover to the dry cleaner. When I measured the cleaned one against the one not cleaned, it had shrunk. So, I guess it depends on the fabric content . I then paid to have the sofa cleaned professionally by a company that doesn't remove the cushion covers.
  • Jeanne Cox Dodge

What if you don't have cushions but need to go in thru the bottom of the couch? Would you just try to push in stuffing in equal amounts for each section?

• Sku21107724

Will it firm the cushions right now finding them to soft any suggestions

• Loni Bright

I do upholstery for a living And you need to replace the foam. It needs to be a denser foam than what you have. DON'T Through out the sift foam though! I take that foam and make pallet seatting for around our bonfire! Or outdoor patio dog beds, There are so many options of fabric for outdoors. Have fun with it!

• Loni Bright

This is one of the pallet seats I made with my daughter in law. It was so easy. And she was so excited about how easy it was she's made a whole sectional for outdoors!

• Loni Bright

Oops soft foam

• Tonya Meadows Jordan

It looks like microfiber. How did you get the covers off. Was there a zipper or someway to get off?
    • Loni Bright

Yes you can take the covers off. I've washed my cushion covers in the washing machine on gental load. Air dry your covers. Then put them back on. If it is made from wool. DON'T wash dry clean with Dryel. Wool shrinks.

• Jacqueline Bento

Hi there! I'm so glad I came across your DIY! I have a sofa with the same material but I ve never took the cushions / covers out to wash. How did you wash them? Thank you in advance. Jacqueline Bento
    • JerLinda Yount

When I did my Grandaughters couch I turned them inside out an closed them an I washed them twice 3 kids an a messy dog. Took out of washer shook them good Do Not DRy Them in dryer do everything the writer of article did an put covers back on let them air dry

• Dar12076004

I understand what you did for the cushions but what did you do to clean arms and frame of couch?

• Mihaela

I have my couch with suede and I cleaned with hot steam until the black/ spots is out. In this way i sanitize the material, too. Works like magic.

• Dee

Windex works great. I had given up on my couch and went to buy new one. New on had spot on it, salesman said not to worry. I will clean it before delivery. I asked how and he said windex. I said to salesman, wait let me think about purchase. I went home cleaned my couch with windex and kept my old couch 5 more years. Windex made it look brand new. I now use it to spot clean my carpet too.

• Arleen

Great information! How did you clean the back cushions? Mine has zippers but they’re not removable. I’ve been wiping them down with a soapy wet rag and they look nice. I’ve also added some pillows for a firmer cushion and back. Should I replace them with the cotton matting?

• Rosie T. Gibson

Will definitely try. Thanks

• Samantha

Just a note - your dog is absolutely precious!! Such a cute photo of him, too, with his legs crossed 😊