Upcycled TV Trays - I Had No Idea on the Family Fun They'd Become!

135K Views
We have had these family TV trays for years. I grew up with them sitting in front of the TV eating TV dinners on a Friday night - and we all thought that was a "treat". They came with me to college, and now my home where I've used them at playgroups, for my kids, etc. They have been well loved and were in need of an upcycle.

I would love to have you subscribe to my blog to see my latest posts, projects, recipes, exclusives, and more - Chas' Crazy Creations
Time: 20 MinutesCost: $5Difficulty: Easy
  • upcycled tv trays, chalkboard paint, crafts, repurposing upcycling
Materials Needed: ChalkBoard Paint - I used Rust-oleum Paint brushes Spray paint for legs - I used Rust-oleum Metallic Silver
I pulled off the legs and sprayed them with the spray paint. I let them dry between each coat. The tray top, I followed the chalkboard paint instructions. It went on nice and easy. I put on about 3 coats, letting it dry according to the instructions between coats.
Above is a picture of the completed paint job.
After letting the paint set for the amount of time specified on the paint can, it was time to "season" the chalkboard. You take a piece of chalk and use it sideways all over the chalkboard paint.
Here is the completed chalk "seasoning".
Next you wipe off all the chalk with a cloth.
This is what it looked like when it was all done.
My kids are in love with these trays. We can use them just as TV trays, or we have used them for games as you see here. My kids grab colored chalk and doodle on them. They are metal trays so we can use them to practice spelling with magnetic letters. We are just having a blast with them. I'm so glad we upcycled them this way.

I would love to have you subscribe to my blog to see my latest posts, projects, recipes, exclusives, and more -  Chas' Crazy Creations

Suggested materials for this project:

• Tv tray
  • Chalkboard paint
Chas

Ask a Question
  • Hannah V
    Hannah V Brooklyn, NY

What a fun idea!The possibilities with chalkboard paint are endless :)

• Chas
        Chas Fort Collins, CO

Thanks Hannah. I'm so glad I did it. I was just looking for an easy way to make them look nice again and we just keep coming up with more ways to use them. My kids even set them up just to draw pictures on with differs colored chalk.

• MsCaliLady
        MsCaliLady Menifee, CA

Adorable idea. Love that you hung onto the trays all those years. I loved the metal trays!