Frankie Laney
Frankie Laney
  • Oceanside, CA

To Paint or Not

Julie MoynaWindow Replacement Orange CountyMargaret B
+47

I have a vintage iron chaise white with some rust. and a glass top table to match. Do I paint it? If so what color? I'm torn and need help with the decision. I'm open for all suggestions, it's in good shape with nice wheels
Thanks.
Frankie
Trying to decide on whether to leave it as is or paint it the original white or something else.  Help please!
Trying to decide on whether to leave it as is or paint it the original white or something else. Help please!
  • Nanci Kerp Brand

I would say paint and definitely keep it white. But I'm just like you asking a question myself. Nice piece you have there. :)

• Frankie Laney

Thanks Nanci, My idea when I got it was to restore it to it's original enamel white. But, then I started thinking about it...which is dangerous!

• Sia@South 47th

Hi! I've had many of these great old pieces over the years. I've both painted and left original. The one thing you'll need to do, no matter if you choose to paint or not, is wire brush lightly every part of the piece. Steel wool works for the nooks and crannies. This will gently remove the crust and flake. After that, if you like the vintage look then seal it with a weatherproof Spray sealer. If you want it to look new, then Spray paint and you'll also need to weatherproof Spray seal. IF it's going to be left outside. If not, then just a regular sealer will work. Can't wait to see pic's of the finished baby!

• Frankie Laney

Thanks Sia...The rust is not too bad so I don't think it will be a hard job to clean it up, like you said. I'm waffling between white and color, didn't think about it being a hard decision. Oh well, it's only paint!

• Sia@South 47th

@Frankie Laney You're welcome! Go with your gut on the color, since you're not planning on re-selling it, you're options are wide open! However remember to use a Weatherproof Sealer after you paint, especially since your in Oceanside. Happy Painting & post the finished pic's please? xo

• Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos

I vote for painting it. Somethig bright and cheery like a glossy yellow.

• Yes, it is looking good you must paint it to use in the future as well, but I am not sure about the color. I think any bright color will do wonder for this or maybe the color, which has been used earlier for this.

• Marci N

I think it would look cool with white and then a light brushing of say gold?

• Cyndi Moore Tippett

I would paint it a very cheery lime green with a cushion made out of outdoor fabric in a bright and fun print/stripe. I don't think you could paint it a color to bright. Love the design of your chaise.

• Lori J

Buy your cushions first and your paint second. Find a color in the fabric that you love and go from there.

• Kimberly C

I would do what Sia suggested and wire brush the rust, seal and then leave it alone (nice and shabby but clean), you can always add bright fabric for cushions and pillows.

• Denise Weick

I love the details(paint only the scroll work a color~ and the main structure white) , with that being said I would hand paint them in a color that you already have in the space, if you have cushions or even flower pots ~~pull a color from there to keep everything cohesive/ balanced. I think it would really make the scroll detail pop! I can see in the picture that you have an umbrella base with curly pattern, I would do the same there. : ) Hope I inspired you Frankie

• Margaret Barclay

I totally agree with Lori J - get the cushions first. Then, paint it one of the colors, as well as the table and the base for the umbrella. Finally get a couple ceramic pots to scatter around that are either the same color or a complimentary color (look at the color wheel). It should make your heart sing when you look at it. Thanks for the chance to daydream a bit.

• Susan Bott

I agree with cushion picked first then paint. I'm a fan of turquoise with your terracotta brickwork.

• Tracy Bromage

Love this but would paint and keep it white or an antique white nothing with a high shine. Its sweet as it is that way you can change the cushion as often as you like.

• Betsy Bodrero

I'd repaint it white or go black. I have a white brick home with black wrought iron shutters on 2 levels. I have a black set of bench-table-chair on my front porch but my patio furniture is white but matches the front furniture. I bought mine a few years ago from J C PENNYS. Very sturdy

• Simple Pleasures

Actually with how things are today, and really never go out of style..what you have is actually perfect. If it were me, I would not paint it, but incorporate its natural charm into some other shabby chic pieces. A new thing in decorating, is combining another style with another style. A huge style in decor design is Shabby Chic with a Tusan Twist...it is beautiful together as well as A French Country intwined with it....I love it as is...You have a beautiful piece!

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

This is beautiful whatever color you choose you will be able to love it for years to come! I agree with @Denise Weick choose a color that is already in your color scheme you use and cushion to fit in and it will be great! All my stuff tends to go white because black seems to blend into my greenery so much more!

• Txvoodoo

I would paint for the sake of safety - rust isn't pleasant if you nick yourself on it! Not only that, paint will protect the iron from further rusting, extending the life of this pretty piece, especially since it's an outdoor piece that will get exposed to the elements. Shabby chic distressing works well on wood, not as well on iron.

• Lamia Belabbas

laissez le tel quel ,en revanche miser sur un beau tissu comme la toile de jouy dans les tons rouge et beige

• Frankie Laney

Thank you Simple Pleasures. I saved that piece, I didn't know about the vinegar! After reading so many, many posts on Hometalk, Pintrest, etc. I'm almost on overload, but cannot stop reading! I love it. Thanks again.

• Nancy Wooldridge

Definitely white!

• Maria Reis Barbosa

A nice bright yellow color.

• Margo Fogg

I would spray paint copper!

• Bonne C

RED!!

• Ginger Scott

I would clean the rust, then paint it back white with spray it with rust proof paint. Good luck!

• Elisabeth R

I'd leave it the way it is & make a colorful cushion for that pop...

• Doris S

I would paint it fresh white and then get cushions and pillows to add your pop of color

• Leah Agonofski

Well I would paint it. Ad a bright summer color would be turquoise or baby blue.

• Gini D

Yes paint it bright!

• Cheryl W

Paint it any color you want. If you dont like it you can always spray it another color. I did mine sunrise red and love it.

• Frankie Laney

Thanks Lamia Belabbas for a different idea. I do love red toile, not so sure about the beige. Thank you.

• Christine Brick

I'd spray it ceramic white, or matte white so there's no sunglare. White will make any color cushion & pillows pop!

• Linda Kosakowski

With all the beautiful scroll work ,this would have to be Girly Girl hot pink with a soft yellow floral fabric! As a switch that hot pink would rock with a black & white zebra pattern! :)

• Christopher Smith Sr.

Turquoise Blue with Black accents!!

• Stephanie

I have the matching sofa and two chairs. We sanded off the rust and then spray painted them white. We were in between on white and a green hosta color.

• Robin M

I like the turquoise idea but maybe a dark green with a high gloss finish. It would go with most any other color you choose for your pad. You could purchase a utilitarian type of fabric and make your own cushion cover.. add velcro to close it up that way you could change the cover when the mood struck you.

• Corbin Comfort Systems

I am a purist. So if it doesn't need to be refinished I would leave as is and add a cushion. If it really needs to be refinished I would have it sand blasted and powder coated in the original color

• Becca

i personally love this piece ...especially since it's a vintage piece....i do a lot of painting on many different things....and i personally would paint it an antique white or eggshell color...or even sand color ....n use rustoleum gloss paint and for an extra bonus....it being an oil base paint....invest in a bottle of skin so soft by avon (and no i dont sell avon) i use it to remove oil base paint off of my hands n where ever else i get it on me....but it works and it is safe on your skin and doesnt dry it out....:) good luck on your project....would love to see your final finish on it :)

• Roseann Giacalone Voulo

I would paint it black!

• LoEtta yaden

White with chair cushions to match the seasons. new the year round

• Nan

paint it pale light green!

• Rosalie M

I would paint it white and buy cushions to use when sitting on it. They are beautiful. I had one which was lost in the flood of 1972. Makes me sick to think of where it might be.

• Tracy Palmer

Hi, I'd go with an Emerald Green, maybe Green & White striped cushions! I have an itch to paint something myself!

• Marcia M

If you want it to keep it's vintage look, why not scrub it up a bit with steel wool, then seal it with a CLEAR rustoleum spray. You MUST put some kind of protective coat on it or the rust will eat it away. I love this piece!!! And think that having it keep its character will add to the charm.

• Sylvia Ruiz

My small garden set needed paint so with Rustoleum 2x spray paint i turned a blah set into a colorful set!

to paint or not, painted furniture
  • Margaret B

I would clean up the rust and paint it with a while rust protection paint and use some colorful cushions.

• Yes, Paint it but with wooden mettle finish .......... it will look awesome.

• Julie Moyna

nooooo wax and seal with ASCP