Nono
Nono
  • Media, PA

Problem with ants!

Sia@South 47thDiannJosephine
+1

I have little mountains built by ants all over my lawn. If you flatten them they build them back up in about 2 days. Year to year they seem to have increased. I have tried vinegar and hot water but it doesn't seem to do much over all. We live in eastern PA. Any ideas? Thanks

Ants generally do more good than harm in a lawn, Nono, but if you want to try to get rid of them you probably need to use some form of registered ant bait so that you can kill the queen in the nest. See more here from your state extension service: http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/ants-lawns

• Josephine

Sscatter cornmeal around the holes. It isn't permanent as they do come back, but keep adding the cornmeal. This is how I am getting rid of one ant hole in my backyard.

• Diann

You may try cayenne pepper. It seems to confuse their ability to follow their own scent trails, so it may make their home uninhabitable and force them to move out. Or, they may discover they like spicy food...

• Sia@South 47th

Are these black ants, or red ants? For the dark ants, you can try Borax, Baby Powder, Tee Tree Oil, Ground up Chalk, Bay leaves. If they are red Fire Ants, you'll need the Pro's.