Audrey G
Audrey G
  • Utica, NY

Refurbish old wicker chairs and tables

Camee WeberLiliana WellsBarbara Thomas
+9

Does anyone have an easy way to refurbish older wicker furniture? The legs of our wicker chairs, love seat and table are unraveling as well as they need painting. (will spray painting do?) How do I fix the unraveling legs? Thanks, hope someone can give me some ideas!!
  • Sandra

Had similar situation.. I was able to re-wrap the legs with the part that was unraveling and I used my hot glue gun to glue them back into place.. (my most favorite craft tool ever!!) .. I don't spray paint well so I just hand painted mine with a wide brush....looks good as new but in a fresher, brighter color now!!

• KMS Woodworks

As with "caning" wicker can be made a bit more "flexible" with soaking. This may help in keeping the wayward pieces from cracking when you try to weave them back in place. Keep in mind tho that soaking may also loosen up other areas and compound the problem...it all depends on the level of damage.

• Lynn Dallas

if you spray water on the strands before winding they will be more flexible as KMS just suggested. Hot glue carefully (I use a pencil or straw to hold in place while attaching to prevent burns to my fingers ) Spray paint in long flowing strokes. Depending on color it may take several coats to cover. Enjoy !

• Audrey G

I'd like to thank all of you who responded to my question!!! All three had excellent advise and will combine all three 'tips'!! Am so excited to get started on this project now!! Thank you so much !! I might just take a 'before' picture now,,,,hopefully (within the next 2 yrs ha,ha,) I will have the 'after photos to post!! Thanks again everyone!

• Linnya

I spray down my wicker every year with the hose. Let it dry a couple of days slowly. Spray paint with a plastic spray paint out by several companies. Mine lives on the front porch ALL year round that has a southern exposure. The furniture has not aged much in twelve years.

• Lin R

Audrey G so glad you asked this question because I have a rocker on my porch that needs a little work also. So glad there is Hometalk and all you smart DIYers and pros out there!

• Barbara Thomas

I found an oval shaped wicker table in a thrift shop that was weathered really badly. The colors were a tan and blue, very faded. I paid about $5, spray painted it a high gloss black and it turned out so beautiful I have it in my living room for my coffee table. I put a beautiful gold and black tray(made in Italy) on top, also a thrift store find for $5 on 1/2 price day. It did take 3 coats of paint. I love it!!

• Liliana Wells

Barbara Thomas - I have one too. Did you wet the table and let it dry? As Linnya suggested? Or did you just spray painted? Thanks for the advise.

• Barbara Thomas

@Lilina I did spray the table with a garden hose to get any dirt off first. Do your hot glue while those areas are flexible and then let it dry before painting.

• Liliana Wells

Will do. Thanks.

• Camee Weber

I have no unraveled wicker to rewrap the legs with. What do I do now. Thank you so much

• Camee Weber

I need to know how to fix my wicker chair that has unraveled but the unraveled wicker is gone so I have nothing to rewrap with