M&M Embellishments
M&M Embellishments
  • Franklin, PA

She Uses Stain to Refresh a Furniture Piece Into a Piece of Art

$15

Stain has become my medium of choice lately. I have always used stain to do my shading on my signs and other artwork, so one day, I decided to try using it as my "paint"... and so it began :)

she uses stain to refresh a furniture piece into a piece of art, crafts, painted furniture, shabby chic

I had a problem at the beginning, but thanks to friends here and on another page, I was able to fix the problem. This was the original piece. I had done a smaller accent table that matches this piece that I wanted to match or at least complement.

I sanded the top of this without stripping first and came up with these swirly marks... :(

I sanded it down again and thought I could work with it.

But at this point, I decided it just wasn't going to work. The stain wasn't reacting properly and I knew I wouldn't be happy in the end. So.... I stripped and sanded and started all over...

I transfer the image by using carbon paper. Alternately, you could use a projector, but I don't tend to like that as well.

I add the stain to the darkest areas first and let it soak in and then it is just a matter of drawing the stain out with the brush, adding stain, shading/ drawing it out with the brush/ blending, adding stain, repeat, etc.

I am constantly looking back to my inspiration photo for where to shade. At this point, I should point out that I do NOT consider myself an artist! I think I am artistic but I can't just sit down and freehand draw anything!

This picture was before I started to add the stain to the outside.

This is the little accent table I wanted to "match". Didn't turn out that way, but it's ok. I like them both.

Staining the outside proves to be difficult. I did get a tip from a friend. She said she works the outside AS she is doing the flower. She looks at it as ONE piece of art ... makes sense. I might have to try that. But I like the really dark effect of the outside, especially with the wrought iron accents of the table.

After it was all done, I applied 3 coats of General Finishes HPTC. It is water based and I have been told it does NOT yellow. Hope not! I then did a fine sand and then another coat. I buffed it out with brown paper. I could put a layer of wax on top, but it ended up being so velvety smooth with this technique that I do not feel the need!

Hope you enjoyed .. and you should give it a try! People have told me they are too scared to try it. I tell them (and you if you have made it this far in this post).. grab a piece of scrap wood and just give it a whirl. Make sure it is sanded smooth or you won't be able to draw the stain out. Let me know how it goes, I would love to hear back from any of you! If you like this, please take a moment to visit my Etsy page and my website to see other unique pieces I do. Feedback is ALWAYS welcome! :) ~Michelle www.mmembellishments.com

To see more: http://www.etsy.com/shop/mmembellishments

• Nikki

This turned out Absolutely Beautiful!!! You are truly an artist! I have always wanted to try this but I wouldn't even know where to begin doing such a detailed piece like this... Did you draw your flower then stain the outside first? And for the shading do you use almost a dry brush with stain to shade the flower? Sorry for all the questions, but stain is so thin and seems like it would run so fast a be so hard to work with. I'm amazed by your talent. =)

• M&M Embellishments

@Nikki Hi Nikki, I transfer the image to the piece using carbon paper. I have the original picture at hand to keep looking back at to see where and how much shading to do. I didn't stain the outside of the flower oil the very end, but a friend of mine told me she does hers by staining all at once - meaning, she works the flower and the outside at the same time. She looks at it as one piece of art. Whereas mine, the flower is definitely separated from the background (doesn't blend in to the background). As for the actual staining... I use a fine brush to draw in the line of the petal first. Then, I put stain on a small brush and wipe it off onto a towel. then I start laying it on and blending . The first layer you have to blend quickly so as not to have a too-defined line. Then keep layering. Stain really doesn't run at all, actually. Now, having said that, one time I used some that did not work. Now, I almost always use MinWax Ebony. The one that I used that ran was intended for outdoor use, and I think that is why it ran. Thank you for your kind words. I should try to do a video some time. My husband has one of those "go pro" (I think that's the name of it) camera that I could try. I will let you know if I get around to that! :)

• Nikki

@M&M Embellishments Thank you so much for all of your tips, I do plan to try this on a piece of scrap wood, I have a set of nesting tables I have had stripped down for the past year that I wanted to do this to, I wanted to have the flower flow from the bigger table to the little one, but I know I will need a ton of practice before I am able to not only do this, or even do it good, but I have a feeling doing those tables the same with my design split in half could be nearly impossible, haaaha =) A video would be wonderful!

• M&M Embellishments

OMG that is an outstanding idea!!! I think it is do-able! I guess I didn't mention to you that I use blockposter.com to enlarge my image to the size I need. Practice a couple of times first, but you can always strip and sand, as I had to do at the beginning of this one! :) Good luck and let me know if you have more questions!

• M&M Embellishments

Nikki you can see the video series here: http://mmembellishments.com/so/eLFdRb_0 I've been thinking about your nesting tables.. I actually saw a post of someone who did something similar with an octopus. It's another gal I follow here on hometalk, Letitia Grace Lauer . Check her work out - love her designs! You can see her post here: http://www.hometalk.com/9156717/three-nesting-tables-with-octopus-design?se=fol_new-20150706-3&utm_medium=email&utm_medium=pinterest&utm_source=fol_new&utm_source=editor&date=20150706&date=20150706&utm_campaign=featured

• Jenny

Where did you get the image? I checked out your site and didn't see....

• M&M Embellishments

@Jenny I think I might have put two photos together for this one using PicMonkey. I usually just google to get an image.

• User

What paints did you use?

• Christine Ringer

I can't stop looking at this! It's stunning! Where did you get the photo? I would love to give this a try and I thing the image you used us perfect...thank you for sharing :)

• M&M Embellishments

@Christine Ringer I honestly think I took two images and put it together. I can attach it. And thank you ! :)

• Mary Winters Bellopede

The table is beautiful. Is there a video of you staining? I would love to see exactly how its done?

• Vicki

Can you coach on what you made the original design, how you transferred it onto carbon paper & how you transferred that to the table-tell the process?

• M&M Embellishments

@Vicki HI Vicki. This is my process... I find an image. Figure the size i need and then use blockposter.com to enlarge. Then, I just lay the carbon paper on the table and the image on top of that and trace the lines of the petals. Does that help? Oh, and I just google images of what I want to use to find something that catches my eye.

• M&M Embellishments

Vicki, I just put a video together. The post is on here (home talk)

• Vicki

Did you use actual carbon paper or another kind of transfer paper? Is there a brand you like that you've used?

• M&M Embellishments

i have used both regular carbon paper and the Saral transfer paper. The saral doesn't go on as dark, which is nice if you are using it on a white background because you don't want to see those marks through the stain.

• Vicki

Thank you so much...I've a hot red table...but don't want to darkly streak it...:)

• M&M Embellishments

Saral is the way to go... Amazon. Comes in a roll and is reusable.

• Vicki

Fantastic thank you...I had initially searched Amazon & was confused by so many choices...so will get on the stick & order that! Thanks for your patience!

• Vicki

Just went on line-is this what you'd recommend?Saral Transfer (Tracing) Paper graphite all-purpose 12 1/2 in. x 12 ft. roll

• M&M Embellishments

YES! THAT'S what I use.. there is a picture in the video of the box.

• Lynne DiCenzo

The Rose....Where did you get the rose pattern? Also did you have it enlargd?

• M&M Embellishments

I honestly can't remember, but I think I pieced two images together using PicMonkey. I usually just google images. And yes, I enlarge the images using blockposter.com I attached the image

• Suz2996838

Where did you get the tables? They, as a "canvas" for your artwork, are perfect. Absolutely exquisite results! :-)

• M&M Embellishments

I have had the tables for years. I work in a boutique and our mother store is a jewelry store. We (our stores) had ordered these tables from one of our suppliers. The little one had been damaged from sun in the window display. But I have also done this type of work on old cupboard/ cabinet doors.

• Victoria Jechart

Stained designs. Lovely work. Have you ever used Unicorn Spit as the staining medium, using the same technique that you did on these tables? I've been thinking about attempting this, as my sister gave me a set of US for Christmas. Thx

• Lynette Peavey

I was going to ask the same thing! Unicorn Spit would be so beautiful done like this! Go to www.unicornspit.com and see for yourselves. Awesome Gel stain!

• M&M Embellishments

I actually HAVE used Unicorn Spit. I wanted to find colored stain, and there really isn't many out there. I tried it, but it's very hard to blend. At least that was MY experience. I ended up having to strip and start over. I have bought 3 colors from her, though, and am going to give it another try on a scrap piece. Maybe I will try a butterfly soon. that would be fun! :) Believe it or not the one colored stain I found was Tim Holtz (?) distressed stains. It worked really well on one of my X-ray art pieces.

• Victoria Jechart

Oh this is encouraging. Unicorn Spit is water based, so I wonder if it is thinned would it be easier to blend...or..mmm maybe adding an acrylic drying retarder. Acrylic dries very fast and I often add the drunk retarder, so I can been better on a canvas. Interesting, I think I'll get a block of wood and experiment by water thinning and retarder. Your butterfly idea sounds amazing, how fun. Please let me know how it turns out. Thx

• Cheryl

Absolutely gorgeous! How did you deal with the stain bleeding?

• M&M Embellishments

@C516145 Do you mean like the stain running? I never have that problem, although I have been asked that before. I predominantly use MinWax Ebony. The one time I did have problems was with my French Clock Table, and I had tried to use outdoor stain... it just would not blend in. Now, when I dip my brush in the stain, i ALWAYS wipe it off on a rag before applying.

• Kymm Myers

absolutely beautiful... have a drop-leaf table I would love to try this with.. I do not know what you mean by draw out the stain.. again beautiful

• M&M Embellishments

Sorry, Kymm, I guess I didn't explain very well. I tried to explain better for someone else, too. I will try .... so, when I start, I start with the outline of a petal. I dip my fine brush in the stain and wipe on a rag to get the excess off. Then, I draw the line. Then, lets say in a corner that has dark shading, I dip my brush, dab on rag, then put it in that corner. Then, I take a blending brush and I take that stain that I just laid down and blend it out away from the corner (what I call drawing it out), and keep blending it out. Rubbing with the blending brush. I need to do a video, and my husband is going to get me a camera to try this. When I do, hopefully next week, I will post the video. It's hard to explain it without seeing what I'm doing. But I hope this is a little helpful.

• Kymm Myers

I hope I do not miss the video because I really would love to try this on an old drop leaf table that was my Grandmothers.. I think I understand but not sure and do not want to mess it up... I love your work and never say you are not an artist because you are... thanks for answering.. my email is kymm369 incase you want to send me the link to your video and I will post it to others so they can enjoy your work as I do... Kymm

• M&M Embellishments

Thank you so much Kymm. I hope to do the video next week. I have to go away for my real job for a few days. Hopefully when I get back.... I will let you know for sure!

• Kymm Myers

Thanks for writing back.. I am so looking forward to the video and will be glad to post it to others for you to get it out there...again amazing work.. :)

• Elaine Simmons

I can't wait to see the video!

• Robin Lueddeke

I can't wait to see the video either. I do better with projects when i actually see it being done!

• M&M Embellishments

For all of those asking about the video... I am starting a series. I posted the first one on here (Hometalk) and I am working on the 2nd.

• M&M Embellishments

Kymm Myers you can see the video series here: http://mmembellishments.com/so/eLFdRb_0

• Sandy Fox-deMoll

Where did you find carbon paper that size? It's gorgeous!

• Debra Waits

What do you mean you buffed with brown paper? Like using brown paper sack? Your work is gorgeous!

• M&M Embellishments

HI Deb. Yep, that's what I mean. Crazy, huh?! I use the brown packing paper, but I think like brown lunch sacks would be the same. It really does make it so smooth! And thank you so much! :)

• Debra Waits

Indeed beautifully crazy! Was this done with brown paper dry, damp or wet? I think l will actually attempt painting with stain this year. Any tips greatly appreciated!

• M&M Embellishments

The brown paper is at the end, just to buff. And I use it dry. I just saw a post about wet sanding that I may try some time, but haven't yet. I plan on doing a video tutorial on this - hopefully next week. I will post here, so stay tuned! :)

• Debra Waits

Thank you... l will do that!

• Robin Lueddeke

This is one gorgeous piece! Wow!! What I'm not understanding or should I say my Q is did you free hand "trace" these beautiful roses? I'd love to try something like this but I'm not this talented. Thanks~

• Karen Friesen

where can I find therose sketch?

• Karen Friesen

@Karen Friesen I have thought about nothing else but trying this out since I saw it. I too consider myself artistic but not an artist. I can not draw, and have to transfer the image. I am curious about the stain colors you use. Is it 2 different colors? I can only paint what I see and need a clear picture of what I am trying to do. I will show you an example of my work but what you do seems more difficult as it is unforgiving of errors.

, This is my cat Petey I had to do many corections until I got it to where I was happy How do you deal with stain if you don t get it right the first time, This is how I start out
    • M&M Embellishments

@Karen Friesen Wow Karen, that is wonderfully beautiful!!! I only use one stain MinWax Ebony Wood Finish. The variations are just in the amount of stain (layers) used. I did use Tim Holtz distressed stain in purple on the attached photo and it worked well, but finding colored stains is difficult to find. I think you and I are a lot alike in our viewing and item and "duplicating" it but not being able to freehand it. PS... there is a colored stain, Unicorn Spit, that I tried once and couldn't get it to work, but I am going to give it another try.

• Karen Friesen

You have inspired me to try something new. I am so excited to go out today and find something to try this on. I only use wood to paint on, so this is a perfect project for me to try. THANK YOU!

• Lynette daugherty

Thank you so very much for taking the time to explain your process. I've been looking for this a long time. fabulous!

• Jeannie

Fantastic!!

• Rosanne

very lifelike! +

• Lise Morrison

The staining process, what do you mean by "staining the outside"?

• M&M Embellishments

Sorry, Lise, I just saw this question. I mean that after I am all done with the design (flower), I go back and stain all around the outside of it, to get it darker. This is where I have difficulty not getting streaks. Alternatively, like another diy' er advised, you could stain the outside AS you are working on the flower/ design. Hope this helps!

• MaryFran

Love this..did you use a special type of brown paper to buff it out ? Thanks for sharing

• M&M Embellishments

@MaryFran ThANK you!! Nothing special... just the brown packing paper that come sin boxes, but I think it would be the same as like brown lunch sacks. It really does make it super smooth!

• Sherri

I can't wait to see your video on the staining process. I'm not clear on what you mean by "drawing the stain out." Could you explain that?

• Bobbie GA

This is breathtakingly beautiful! How long did it take you altogether?

• M&M Embellishments

Hmmmmm, the question I am always asked and really do not have an answer to... a little every night for about a week I would guess, plus maybe a half day (a day I was off work). That's a guess..... And THANK YOU!!!

• Myg2776477

I would love to try this and I will soon. I'm not an artists but I can copy any thing and learn as I go. Your tables are beautiful, and thanks for the instructions. Ann Hodges

• M&M Embellishments

Let us see your project when finished!!

• Lee James

Your art is just beautiful....bringing out the beauty of nature in the image and in the wood. Truly inspiring!

• M&M Embellishments

Thank you so much, Lee!

• Tracy Shudo

I agree with Lee your work is ART! So beautiful, I will pin you and check out your other work. Thanks so much for sharing. Tracy From Canada

• M&M Embellishments

THank you so much, Tracy! Truly appreciate your kind words and following along! :)

• Loretta

Where do you find these large images?

• M&M Embellishments

I find an image on google, then I use PicMonkey.com to change it however I need/ want. Then i use Blockposters.com to enlarge it. Hope that helps!

• Colleen

When you traced it, did you do the shading with a pencil or is it all shaded by stain?

• M&M Embellishments

No, I only do the basic outline - then, all the shading is done with the stain. I don't know if you saw the drum table I did (the one that I did the videos on)... this is hard to explain, but the design around the compass had lines as their shading, so I did add some lines, but that really wasn't necessary and actually hinders the process, because sometimes that line you get from the tracing shows through the stain - ESPECIALLY when you use a white transfer paper. So, the lighter the transfer line and the less lines the better. You just have to continuously look back at yyour inspiration picture to decide on the shading. The best way for me is to take pictures and look at it on the computer screen - you see it much better than when you are standing directly over it. Hope that helps!

• Tco7619574

Great job!

• Shirley

Where do I find you on-line? I love, love, love this table!

• M&M Embellishments

Hi Shirley! You can visit my website at www.mmembellishments.com. I also have a facebook page at www.facebook.com/mmembellishments and an Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/mmembellishment. This table has sold, but you will be able to see all of my other designs using the same technique! Thank you for your interest!!

• Susanlovedesigns

Michelle, you are so very talented -- and yes you are an artist! Can you tell me where you get your prints that you use. They are very beautiful and seem to be just detailed enough to handle this technique. I am going to try and get my nerve up soon to do a piece. I love working with wood and stains - most of the time I am restoring old pieces with just one color of stain ---- but you have set me off in new directions and look out I may try this soon.

• M&M Embellishments

Hi susan! Thank you so much!! I just google or fiind images off of Pinterest. Sometimes I manipulate and make my own designs by piecing images together. My first time I tried it,I had to sand it all back off - I was trying to use a technique I had seen on Pinterest (Bethany from Reality Daydreams) ; however, I tend to look at it differently than she does, so I do my own technique that is more like painting. At any rate, I would practice on a scrap board first. But make sure the board is raw and smooth. Good lLuck and let me know how it turns out!!! :)

• Jamie

Susan,

Please explain what you mean by "drawing" out the stain.

• M&M Embellishments

Hi Jamie... it's a little hard to explain, but I use artist brushes and I "draw" the line and then rub that line with a brush to create a "shadow" of sorts.

• Janet M

If you're making art, you're an artist, yes?

• M&M Embellishments

Thank you, Janet - yes! I have now been doing this for several years and I do consider myself an artist!  This piece was one of my very first pieces and I wasn't confident in my skills yet. I have since changed up the way I do things and don't really use the carbon paper on most of my pieces.

• Trisha

Could flowers be put on the underneath glass table n have the same effect with paint

• M&M Embellishments

Well, yes, you could paint flowers underneath glass. But not with this technique. I use stain for my painting, so stain would not work on glass.

• Mel G

I'm not artistic enough to do that beautiful of job but would a stencil work?

• M&M Embellishments

I don't think you would be able to use a stain with stencil. POSSIBLY a gel stain, but I would still fear it would seep under the stencil.

• Delores

Where do you get transfer or what do you use.

• M&M Embellishments

He Delores, it's not a transfer. It's done by hand using stain. I used to use carbon paper to transfer an image way back when, but this was one of my first pieces and have now been doing this technique for about 4 years and have perfected my technique as I go. I have found the carbon paper lines interfere with the design, so I do most of the designs free hand now.

• Allison

Fabulous tables! How did you prevent the stain from spreading?

• Lancegs

Love this technique. Pure artistry! When you use the Carbon paper are you tracing the roses from a drawing or picture of the roses?

I like the contrast of the dark background and the roses.

• M&M Embellishments

Hi Lancegs. Thanks so much!! This post was from a few years ago and I no longer use the carbon paper because I have found it interferes with the design, but I find actual photos of whatever it is I'm working on. I check out royalty free sites for images and usually just trace the background. My art has changed a lot over the years. I do much more detailing and those dark backgrounds like that are always the hardest part!

• Barbara Liwen

Where did you get the picture of the roses to put on the tables?

• M&M Embellishments

I use several websites that have royalty free photographs. This was done a few years ago and honestly can't which site.

• Lynne Usher

How did you get the image of the rose onto the carbon paper? It's absolutely gorgeous!

• M&M Embellishments

Thank you Lynn. This was a ew years ago when I first started this technique. I don't really use it too much anymore, but what you would do is enlarge the picture you want to use, put the carbon paper under that enlarged photo and trace the picture to have it transfer onto the wood or whatever you are working on.

• Cheryl Payne

I staple the copy and carbon papers together then

Tape it down with painters tape so it won't move on me. Then i can break away from it if needed.

• Lauren Bailey

Hi. Would you mind explaining (in more detail) on how you did the shading? Would love to try it, but not sure I understand how. Thanks

• M&M Embellishments

I can try to explain, it's just hard to put it into words, and I don't have any tutorials. My technique has changed a bit since I did this post. My work is more refined and more detailed now. But, I will try. I use artist brushes. I dip my brush into the stain, wipe off excess, and draw the outline. Then, I take that stain that I just laid down and start pulling it from the outline in towards the area I want shaded. I usually have a brush that I use for outlining and another that I use to blend that stain . So, basically, I'm putting the stain down and pulling it away from the area I laid it down. I also work in layers. The first layer takes the most time. After that has dried, I can go back in and do more layers for detailing/ more depth.

• Lavete Johnson

I love your work! How long did it take? Do you suggest a beginner like myself try this? I can’t draw and my handwriting is terrible...but I want to learn how to do this.

• M&M Embellishments

I would say, you should give it a try and have fun! I have been doing this for a few years now and continue to learn and tweak my technique.

• Hedi Forster

I dont have a question, but as an amature artist for the last 60 years, I wanted to tell you I'm in awe of your talent. I've been all over the country from N.Y. to Californis. Ive never seen this done. I totally looove your tables...as you said, some of us arent brave enough to try it. I'm definitely aprehensive!, but maybe one day......

• M&M Embellishments

Thank you so much, Heidi!!!! I really appreciate your kind words!! Yes! Give it a try!!!

PS, I think I replied to you before, but I must not have hit the "reply" button to send it! Thanks again!!

• M&M Embellishments

Oh my goodness, thank you SO much Heidi!!! This piece was actually one of my very first pieces I did with this technique. My style has changed a little, in that I do more detailing. You should definitely give it a try!