Laura G
Laura G
  • Evergreen Park, IL

Plastic Kiddie Pool as a grassy area for guinea pigs, is it possible?

JessieBessieSia@South 47thLaura G
+7

I know this might be an interesting, yet strange issue but...I have several guinea pigs but I live in an apartment, so I don't really have my own yard, but do have patio space. I was thinking of creating a small "yard" out of a plastic kiddie pool, lined with sod for the piggies to roam and snack in. However, my concerns are will the sod survive? Will mold grow because of the plastic bottom? Should I create small holes in the bottom of the pool to allow for ventilation? Can I cover it in some way to keep out the roaming cats from using it as a toilet? I have considered the option of creating one indoors as I have the space. They have a 3 level cage with another level at the bottom for storage that would make an excellent little playground for them. But again, not really sure if that is possible without creating a moldy mess. Any tips would be appreciated. Especially because I have a "black" thumb...lol
  • Karla Capps

cover the pool with a screen, put some holes in the bottom for drainage make them about quarter size put coffee filter over holes to keep dirt in and then put your grass in and water. just make sure the cats cant move the screen

• Laura G

Hey, I like that idea of using a screen, maybe even chicken wire now that I think about it. Thanks so much Karla! I will be scoping out materials this weekend.

• Sia@South 47th

Please make sure that the guinea pigs can't get up to the screen, because they sure will get outta there! And if you go instead with chicken wire, the holes may be a wee bit to big. xo

• Laura G

Oh yeah Sia, I'm very familiar with their little antics as well as keeping them safe. I appreciate you mentioning those issues because now I know you either have and/or love piggies like I do. :-)

• Sia@South 47th

Yep I had them when I was on the farm. Had them in their own little house ;) Loved those little rascals! xo

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

What kind of grass are you thinking about using? will the piggies eat it? hmmm...wonder how strong their urine is and if it will kill the grass? Wonder if you could just use wheat grass or something that you can replace by seeding it out every so often...maybe annual rye grass would work... fascinating project! Please be sure to let us know how you do it and how it works out for you.

• Laura G

@Sia, aww that's so cute. I have a 6 year old and I am entertained by them, more than she is. @@Donna They can eat regular sod, but I like the wheat and rye grass idea. i was just thinking that I wanted to put it together quickly, hence the sod idea. I don't plan on them being in there for long periods of time, only for a change of pace exercise space outside, so I don't think urine would be a problem. Plus, being vegetarians, it will probably help the soil! I'll definitely upload some pics after I work out all the details this weekend.

• Sia@South 47th

Have fun and please share a pic or 10! xo