Recycle Those Plastic Bottles and Make a No-Sew Denim Ottoman

$10

My son asked us to get him an ottoman to rest his feet on when he's relaxing in his home made hammock. Now these things come in all shapes and sizes, but none of them were quite the right height or colour, so we ended up making one. It turned out to be really, really easy, and we recycled some plastic bottles at the same time.
What you need to make a no-sew denim ottoman - 7 plastic bottles, we used 2.5 liter plastic coke bottles - 1.5 m x 1 m (59" x 39.3") stretch denim fabric - 2 wooden circles, 39 cm (15.4") in diameter. Your local hardware store should be able to cut them for you - Batting or padding (the stuff they use for quilting) - Packing tape, double sided tape, no-sew fabric glue and a staple gun
Arrange the plastic bottles in a circle and tape them together (This will form the base of the ottoman). Turn the bottles over and put some double sided tape on the bottom and attach to one of your wooden circles.
To make the seat cover cut a 50 cm (19.6") circle out of the denim fabric and 2 x 39 cm (15.4") circles out of the batting (I wanted the seat to be nice and "puffy"). Put the denim wrong side facing up on your workbench, then the two batting circles on top of that and finally the wooden circle. Carefully fold the extra bits of the denim circle over the wood and use a staple gun to attach.
Wrap the plastic bottles in batting and staple the batting to the bottom outer edge of the wooden circle. Cut a 1.2 m x 45 cm (47.2" x 17.7") strip out of your denim material and using fabric glue attach the denim skirt to the outer edge of the seat cover. Once the glue is dry (about 1/2 hour), place the seat on top of the plastic bottles and gently pull the fabric skirt down over the batting covered bottles. Staple the extra bits of denim to the underside of the bottom wooden circle.
Finally, just for love, glue a little heart on top of the seat.

Michelle Leslie

• Ang32599165

How much weight has the bottle ottoman been able to withstand?

• Michelle Leslie

It takes quiet a bit of weight. My son who's just turned 21 uses it all the time and he weighs around 90 kg

• Cheryl Sanger-Morrison

Could you cut up old jeans & make a patchwork cover with the denim pieces. Maybe put put the pockes around the sides to hold things?

• Terre Tulsiak

I'm wondering what happens if someone sits on it. But the piece looks professionally done.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi there, i's strong enough to sit on too. My son and his friends do it all the time and it hasn't collapsed or bent out of shape after all these years.

• Lillie Mungia

That's amazing I can use it outside for a small patio table covered up as well interesting thanks for the idea

• Michelle Leslie

So glad you like it Lillie and it would look really cool as an outdoor table too

• Nancy

When I was growing up my hand mother had a footstool made similar to this it was made with tall cans. Like tomato juice cans , she covered it with heavy felt.

She made kinda puffy, padded top for it. It too was covered with the same felt and she embroidered flowers on the top.

• Michelle Leslie

That sounds so lovely Nancy. Back in the days our parent sure knew how to make do with very little.