Johnny J
Johnny J
  • Corona, CA
Asked on Mar 16, 2012

I am remodelling my bathroom, the backwall of my backplash is not straight the drywall curves about 1/2 inch.

Johnny JDesigns by BSBKMS Woodworks
+3

Can I heat up the backsplash to curve it a little bit. If that is not possible, what filler material do I use to fill on the gap.
  • KMS Woodworks

What type of back spash are we talking here? Tile is often used as it conforms to the wall better. Straight and solid materials are caulked. The best method however would be to correct the crappy drywall...this is done by shimming the stud so the wall is flat.

• Designs by BSB

KMS question is the most important, what is the material?

• Johnny J

Material is resin with mixed with marbles. Enginered material?

• KMS Woodworks

Johnny J....that stuff will not "bend" too well. If it were me I would fix the crappy drywall...(I'm not much for band-aid type repairs). The majority of DIY folks however would simply caulk it. If the gap is more that about 1/4 inch you would be well off to use a "backing rod" this is a foam "pencil shaped" roll of material that fill the bulk of the gap. This allows for a thinner more flexible caulk line to be applied.

• Designs by BSB

another option is to cut into the drywall where the splash is. Not the best option, but it is one!

• Johnny J

You can see the bowed wall just above the backsplash, but I think I found a solution. I will nail down or screw on a piece of decorative wood to hide the gap. I will give an update if it is resolved.