Designs by BSB
Designs by BSB
  • Lawrenceville, GA
Asked on Mar 16, 2012

When to transplant a dogwood?

Designs by BSB360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Douglas Hunt
+7

We would lke to remove a dogwood tree and would love to move it to another property. Possible? Best time of year?
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

How big is it ? And do you know what type it is? Has it already budded up for bloom?

• Designs by BSB

It is 12-15' tall .. and yes it is budded now. It was originally planted 15yrs ago

• Designs by BSB

no idea on the type .. picture helpful ?

I think transplanting a dogwood of that size is a dicey proposition because of their very spreading root system. I would definitely not do it now with the tree in bud and strongly suggest consulting with a good arborist. He or she may recommend root-pruning now to help prepare the tree for a move next winter.

• Designs by BSB

I figured it would be risky, but worth the try over making it into firewood :)

• Walter Reeves

I encourage experimentation in the garden....but I agree with Douglas: moving it now is too problematic to try. If it MUST go now, firewood is probably the better use.

• Designs by BSB

there is no must... but also dont feelt it is worthy to hire/pay to save it. It 's base is 5-6' from another dogwood, and several large gardenia shrubs which are 5' tall alone! My reason for moving is pure asethetics -- it is growing at a 20 degree angle on a sloped yard.. it looks silly!

Then you have nothing to lose by trying (although it would be much easier to move gardenias, and you might want to have a word with whomever planted dogwoods 5 feet apart).

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Joining the chorus BeckySue. I think you would need a tree spade to have much luck getting that big baby moved, and still would be a improbable success story.

• Designs by BSB

Everyone here is singing the same tune ;). My dear husband is a pro at taking stuff down.. Thereafter there is no telling, haha. I admire him for entertaining the possibility, but here it clearly is not a viable option. We have a fire pit in the back yard.. So not a complete loss!