George Frederick
George Frederick
  • Florence, SC

Grass for a sandy yard.

360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Sheila samplesSia@South 47th

Our yard is mostly sand and hard dirt and has alot of dead patches in it, I am trying to get grass to grow. Anyone have any ideas of what type of grass I could use. Plus I cannot get my dogs to stop digging holes. the dirt they dig up looks just like sand. I just want a nice green yard without holes
  • Sia@South 47th

You'll need to improve the soil first before the grass will grow. Let's see what Doug has to say though!

• Sheila samples

If you are in a climate where the grass doesn't grow naturally, then it will be difficult to have a green patch without laying new sod and enriching the soil. I would stop fighting the climate and just landscape with stones and sand and small trees and don't worry about mowing either!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

If you have sandy soil you might want to try centipede or if your soil quality is really poor you might be better with bahiagrass. The dogs are going to be the biggest challenge. Is there a way to keep them off while you are growing the grass in or maybe go with a sod as opposed to seeding?