Asked on Mar 18, 2016

What to do with an old night stand

Johnavallance82JaniceMaryAnn
+18

I have an old night stand with one drawer, then shelf at bottom. It is a brown night stand, missing the knob to the drawer, body wise in good shape, I hate to throw it out. Any ideas on what I could do with it?
The top of the night stand
The inside of the night stand
    Janet Pizaro

I would strip it down and refinish the piece then put a basket in and use for xtra storage .

• Since it is the pressed board, photo faux wood finish there is not much you can do with it- I would chalk paint it so the texture of chalk paint helps hide the flaws in the piece and a cool new handle (Hobby Lobby has some cool ones) and then find a basket or box to put in the open area to dress it up. Paint the whole piece inside and out too. I make my own chalk paint and use the sample size paints which means you can paint that blah nightstand any color your heart desires! Oh and do not use a gloss polyurethane- use Satin for the top to seal it http://www.thegardenfrogboutique.com/2016/02/homemade-chalk-paint-recipe/

• Barb Wirey Grigsby
    Barb Wirey Grigsby

If you have a pet, make it their home, with padding and all

• Kashi
      Kashi

@Barb Wirey Grigsby That is an awesome idea! I just came here to see what answers to the author's would be. She could even use the one drawer (after she put a knob on it) to hold a few pet supplies like brushes, combs, leash - whatever.

• Connie
    Connie

Clean it up. take off anything loose. Decopage it with pictures or fabric. Add baskets or fabric boxes. Use it for storage or another night stand. Let your imagination go wild.

• Brenda Young
    Brenda Young

Even if you paint or decoupage this piece, it looks to have severe water damage which causes the pressboard to eventually disintegrate and flake away, and the wood photo laminate to bubble up and peel. Personally I wouldn't attempt to rescue this one.

• CK
    CK

This entire piece is made of MDF...and I see quite a lot of damage (as often does occur with that material). Honestly unless you have no other piece to use and you have a lot of time, I'd not put a lot of effort into it. ;-) Sometimes it "pays" to actually throw some things out, sorry to say. Save your money (and your time) until you find a piece made out of more substantial material. Then you can personalize it.

• Sherrie
    Sherrie

You would probably spend more money to fix this then it's worth. Some things are better off leaving alone.

• Learner Me
    Learner Me

Remove draw, and fill both rectangular boxes with compost and grow plants. Draw may be used to have some spring flowering plants or herbs for kitchen garden.

Janet Pizaro

I say ignore all the negative and go for redoing the piece with what your heart says. All the negative energy in the comments does not in my opinion even come close to an answer. Perhaps just take that negative and make it positive with your own creativity.After all you really have nothing to lose only to gain.

• Cindi
    Cindi

It does have damage that would be hard to repair, so I guess it depends on how bad you want to keep this and what you'll be using it for. I like the idea of using it outside for plants, etc., but doubt I'd spend the time and money to try to fix it for inside, but then you never know until you try. I think it might look good painted bright funky colors, but again, depends on what you will be using it for.

• Melissa
    Melissa

I got a few good ideas, and some who thinks it's too old to repair.. However I think I have another idea in mind that I'm going to try.

• Sirineyousfi
    Sirineyousfi

show me the result plz

• Janine
    Janine

It looks like it's made of pressed wood. May not withstand being outside unless you seal it. Don't want to go to all the trouble and have it fall apart! If indoors, use it as a plant stand? Have fun figuring out what to do! :)

• Em
      Em

I think the question was what can I do with it. I don't see where she wanted to use outside.

• Mary Hill
    Mary Hill

I had one like this that I painted and then decoupaged on the top and drawer faces. It turned out excellent! And was easy to do :o)

• Arm5304201
    Arm5304201

It is not pressed wood it is wood .

• Em
      Em

It IS pressed wood. You can see it at the bottom.

• MaryAnn
    MaryAnn

What kind of paint can I paint over it?

• Janice
    Janice

You might think about covering it with a fabric you love. I once did this with a tall dresser that was in terible shape. San the piece sligtly, then use spray adhesive to glue the fabric onto the sides and top. The drawer will take a bit of extra work. I chose a fairly lightweight fabric with a small leopard design. I got many compliments on the piece after it was finished and got years of use out of it. A colorful happy print would totally change your piece.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello,

Add a shelf or two and use as a Shoe store (Painted up) by the front door Hall entrance.