SawHorse.net
SawHorse.net
  • Atlanta, GA
Asked on Mar 17, 2012

We just cleared space in our yard for a fruit tree. Which fruit trees do well in GA? apple, peach.....

Med5566779Erica GlasenerSawHorse.net
+11

• 3po3

This is a trick question, right? Isn't the whole state one big peach tree?

In choosing what fruit tree to plant, you need to consider how much work you want to do. Apples and all the stone fruits require regular spraying and pruning to get edible fruit. A fig tree would be lower maintenance. You'll also need to consider the issue of pollination if you only have room for one tree. (And now I'm going to stand aside and let the Georgians weigh in on what's best.)

• Walter Reeves

Peach will break your heart with its need for spraying and its attractiveness to squirrels. Plums are about the same as peach. Apples are a possibility but you gotta have two. Investigate grafted types that have two or more grafted to a single trunk. Doug is right that fig is low maintenance...but you gotta have room for one. Blueberries are good. Raspberries/blackberries are good.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Douglas is right, we do have to spray ALOT and prune punctually to produce proud fruit! Walter has some great guides that will get you through. http://www.walterreeves.com/category/food-gardening/fruits/ But just as a aside. I have had some customers purchase the 3-ways and have pretty neat success, but you have to pay attention to the varieties they graft together.

• SawHorse.net

@Steve- you would think it was a trick question, but it was not. I knew that some trees were tough to maintain so that;s why I asked. Great point @Doug. @Walter- we have some blueberry bushes next to that area so I think I will add 2 more bushed and they add the fig tree (if I think that there is space). @4 Seasons- I am interested in the 3 way tree- it is okay to put on in the front yard? I am thinking about replacing some of the aging dogwoods that are at the end of their life-cycle.

• Erica Glasener

I have never grown one but am tempted by the dwarf Bonanza peach tree growing in a large pot at the Atlanta Botanical Garden and in my neighbor's front yard, beautiful flowers and I will find out how the fruit tastes.

• SawHorse.net

What about citrus plants? I like to grow things in pots as well. How do they do in GA? @Erica- I guess a trip to the Botanical gardens is in order to see what works there. I don't mind pruning, however our yard is mostly chemical free.

I think folks in southern Georgia may manage some types of citrus, but I have doubts about Atlanta unless you plan on bringing it in for the winter.

• LandlightS

Whatever you decide to plant, Please do not plant a Bradford Pear.....they are a big PIA......and besides, there are enough of them out there

• SawHorse.net

I have heard the same think about the Bradford pears since they are difficult to maintain as well and can split if they are not pruned.

• Erica Glasener

lots of other good choices and Bradford pears don't bear fruit.

• SawHorse.net

I found a place in the backyard to put a fig tree.

• Erica Glasener

Yeah, you will be happy. It is beautiful and the fruits are tasty.

• Med5566779

Que arbusto de frutas se dan mejor en zonas cálidas?