Painting a metal door with chalkboard paint

+6
Can you paint a metal door with chalkboard paint?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 19, 2016
    I think that will depend on your weather conditions. Does the door face direct sun and snow,rain? I have read conflicting results, however read this post and see if this gives you a better answer. www.thepurplepaintedlady.com/tag/front-door/
  • Sharonyak Sharonyak on Mar 19, 2016
    I live in a mobile with an addition,It is an inside door leading up to the living area of the mobile.
  • Rafael Rafael on Mar 19, 2016
    yes you can as far as painting the out side if the door not sure how it would last on weather conditions
  • Deb Malner Franke Deb Malner Franke on Mar 19, 2016
    Yes, I would use DeGlosser first. Apply, let dry 30 mins then paint
  • Is there a reason you want to use chalk paint? Behr Marquee makes a fabulous paint for exterior applications. I used it on my front door and was amazed at the results. You will need to clean the door really well, degloss or lightly sand to remove any glossy finish and paint. Now if you want to use chalk paint, you can pick out a paint sample of your color (Home Depot has a Behr indoor/outdoor paint sample) and you can follow my recipe I use which I found to work great. Here is the link to my blog post on my recipe: http://www.thegardenfrogboutique.com/2016/02/homemade-chalk-paint-recipe/
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Mar 19, 2016
    I think Janet has your best advise. "But as always, your PREP will be your most important part of the process". Your weather conditions will dictate your paint. i also suggest varathane ,marine varnish for any outdoor use as a top coat. It cannot be penetrated by even a tsunami. It is why it is used on boats .. and I used it three coats on a kitchen table that never changed in 40 years of constant use from being crystal clear. But as always, "your PREP will be your most important part of the process" Can I repeat this..."But as always, your PREP will be your most important part of the process."
  • Jackie I Jackie I on Mar 19, 2016
    I would go to your Home Depot and ask about a metal primer. I can't think of any reason why you couldn't paint it with chalkboard paint.
  • Teresa Teresa on Mar 30, 2016
    If its an outdoors beware that it will peel after time.
  • Lisa J Principe Lisa J Principe on Feb 10, 2018
    What would you use to seal the metal door after painting with chalk paint?