Creatively Living
Creatively Living
  • Richland, WA

DIY Concrete Countertop Overlay!

Here it is! The post on our Cement Countertop Overlay project. It's been about five months, so I can tell you the good, the great and the really annoying stuff about it!
diy concrete countertop overlay, concrete masonry, countertops, kitchen backsplash
Would I do these again? Absolutely! Would I do it if I had a lot of money to spend on countertops? No! These countertops could cost you around $50 to $90 dollars. They are a pretty easy DIY (messy, but easy) and they look awesome! However.....they are not very durable!
Here's a good before and after. I love the way they look! I took this picture around a month ago. We've had these finished for approx. 5 months. As you can see, they still look really good. Even close up, they aren't too bad.
....but, they do get marked, stained and scratched EASILY! This is a coffee cup ring. I think the cup was sticky, someone pulled up on it, taking the sealer off, and without the sealer a mark formed. It actually doesn't look even close to this bad in person, but still, it's annoyoing!
I read through as many tutorials as I could find for using the Ardex Feather Finish Cement Overlay, and I stuck to completing every detail on the countertops, but I totally skipped steps on my desk top. It ended up not even mattering! I also sealed the desk with Polyurathane and not the food safe sealer and had MUCH better durablilty results!
A full tutorial and all of my thoughts and tips are in my blog post. If you are considering trying a cement overlay I would highly recommend it, but read through my post for my of my durability tips!
Creatively Living

• Janice

What was the color of Grey you used on your cabinets ? I have been trying to find a grey that I like. I really like the color you used.

• Beti Baganda

Will it weigh down the fake cabinets?

• Jeannie Moran

I would also love to know what grey you used on your base cabinets

• Sue Sanders

Looks great and a very clean look. Little curious about the stool in front of the sink. I am thinking about a change. The built in china cabinet with a serving counter on lower portion, needs a modern touch. So thinking about removing the lower portion, serving counter, (not attached to top cabinet) and removing the doors so I can add some legs to the counter. I dont like the doors so would like to replace with drawers which are so much more accessable.
  • Brenda

stunning redo! Beautiful kitchen. Imperfections and normal wear 'n tear make it that much more beautiful in my opinion.