Jayme
Jayme
  • Bellaire, MI

Rhubarb Help Please!!

Sau22462340VkellerCarroll
+14

I am wondering why one of my rhubarb plants is thinking it is time to go to flower? or go to seed? I am not sure what it is doing.

Can I cut the flower part off? Are there male and female plants?
Can I chop the flowering part off?
Can I chop the flowering part off?
This is what my other 2 rhubarb plants look like.
  • Deltagardener

I would cut off the flowering stalk at the bottom where it is emerging. This often happens in the spring on older plants and can be a sign of stress. You may need to divide the plant after harvesting.

• Catherine Smith

Agree with deltagardener. Looks like you need to divide that plant.

Rhubarb flowers have male and female parts, Jayme. I would definitely cut off that flowering stalk.

• Terry Lilley

Thanks for asking this very question...my plant is doing the same thing! :)

• Jayme

@Deltagardener and @Catherine Smith this plant was a new plant last year and has never been harvested....it actually has very few leaves on it at all, just that big ugly thing coming up in the middle of it. Thanks for everyone's comments....off to the garden.

• Mary Jane Mcgann-Pagnoni

mine too!

• Mikell Paulson

I always pull that one out. I never cut! Perhaps you should pull all the big stocks off and let the new ones come up!

• Kerry Morris

I think it's because of the drastic weather this spring.

• Nancy Scott

Plants bloom. This is when rhubarb blooms. Simple as that. It is not stress or anything else. Tulips bloom in the spring and so does rhubarb. Cut off the flower/seed stalk where it emerges and the attached leaves (these stalks on the flower stalk are edible) or all energy will go to what the plant was meant to do, reproduce, and we want it to only produce stalks and leaves.

• Losvlam

the adult rubarb will make flowers every year and make great items in flower arangements with other flowers

• Pamela Knott

I was looking for an answer to the same question. If I leave these seeds on, will they produce new plants next year?

• Vkeller

I was given a med size rhubarb plant to start in a container..Our ground is clay and not good drainage. Do I need another plant , Male and female to have success ?
  • Kathy Bitzan

I found this in a neighbors yard years ago and never knew why it did that. My son in law killed my rhubarb plant last year. It was at there house and I thought doing nicely, my daughter thought it wasn't getting enough sun. they moved and it died. I told her she couldn't compare a new plant to the neighbors who had there plant growing for 20+ years. be patient. they moved it any way.
    Thanks for the info.
  • Carroll

Never cut rubarb pull the stock out. It is normal for it to go to seed keep the stalk pulled out I use rubarb from April to Sept.
    . Easy to freeze wash, trim and cut, bag and put in freezer. A wonderful taste of spring in the winter. My favorite is rubarb custard pie. Enjoy.
  • Vkeller

Thank You ! So excited to grow rhubarb.😊
  • Sau22462340

That is called bolting. Comes early in growing season when warm. I just break the seed pod off as low to the ground as possible.. Don'let in place or plant will go to seed.