Homemade Fabric Refresher Spray

I hate washing my sweaters or worse yet sending them to the cleaners. Most of the time they really aren't that dirty, and it seems like the minute you start washing them they change shape and generally go down hill.
homemade fabric refresher spray, cleaning tips, crafts
So I research the web to see if I could come up with an alternative to washing, or at least something that would cut down on the amount of washing needed.
They are so many great ideas out there. I tried a vodka spray but it really didn't help much.
I did see a lot of people using white vinegar. Mostly they were using it in the washing machine. Some people were even using white vinegar in their armpits to prevent body odor. Something about the acid in the vinegar working with the body's PH.
So I tried it directly on my sweater. I did add some essential oils because they smell so nice and I didn't want to smell like vinegar.
This idea worked well. I just sprayed the area liberally and hung it in a open area to dry. Some sweaters needed a couple of applications but overall I'm pretty happy with the results.
If you are worried about damaging any delicate material try a test spot in an inconspicuous spot first.
For the complete recipe click on the link below. If you like creating thing for the home and garden check out my projects page for more fun DIY ideas.
Patti @Hearth and Vine

• Patti Lacy Smith

I'd be afraid the oils would stain my clothing. Wouldn't this be a problem?

• Mary

Essential Oils are not "oily" per se, They are the essence of each plant and a little goes a long long way. It won't make anything oily, especially with the vinegar as a base.

I sell a lot of garments on Ebay, Poshmark, and Etsy. I was using Febreeze on everything. Didn't really like the scent and really didn't freshen anything up. Tried the vinegar and essential oils. Worked out great. Now that is what I use all the time.

• Lisa House

Doesn't sweat and body oils get the sweaters dirty even when they look clean? By not laundering these secretions are damaging the material. I also learned in chemistry that if it smells dirty, it is dirty. I appreciate the ideas for homemade Febreeze type solutions, I personally prefer to carefully cleanse my delicates each time I wear them.

• Marilyn

people using febreeze need to do research on how bad these chemicals are! If it smells good the buy it.