Thrift Store Sweater Pillow Covers Tutorial

Cover your tired old pillows with cable knit thrift store sweaters for a warm and cozy look - no major sewing skills required!
thrift store sweater pillow covers tutorial, crafts, diy, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
I started out buying a big pile of ivory sweaters from the Rescue Mission. I picked them up on a 50% off day, so I paid $2 to $3 each. I looked for sweaters with a cables, ribs and other designs.
I picked up some inexpensive wood and wood-look buttons:
They were so easy and came out great! Want to know how I did it? Head on over to my website at the link below for the full tutorial.
Julie Briggs

• Maggierose

These are so pretty. When you cut across the sweater do you have a problem with unraveling from the open stitches? How do you make sure you don't have a "run" of dropped stitches and that you catch every one up in your sewing? Thanks

• Julie Briggs

Surprisingly, I didn't. I wasn't sure if it was going to work for exactly that reason, but I just tried to be careful sewing them up. Haven't noticed any problems .

• Smk1442994

I made a few pillow covers from my mom's many sweaters that she knitted. She passed away 2 months ago and I used her sweaters and made a pillow for each of my 11 nieces, my 2 daughters and 2 daughters-in-law and myself. They each picked out their own sweater for their pillow. Yes, she hand knitted a lot of them over the years. I call them swillows. A lovely memory of my mom.

• Mar6697571

@Smkarasz65 Such a lovely thought. Your love of your mother shines through. She would be so proud of you!

• Marvina Liechty

Oh how I wish I had done that. It's too late,but maybe I will for someone else one day.....