Southern Trillium LLC
Southern Trillium LLC
  • Stone Mountain, GA
Asked on Mar 19, 2012

Anyone recognize this spring flowering shrub? Something a little different for a splash of spring color.

Debra Carswell LedfordNoniPat
+48

This is not a forsythia, but another spring flowering deciduous shrub that puts on a brilliant show of yellow flowers. Let's see who else knows it.
A broad view of this shrub.
A broad view of this shrub.
A detail view of the flower.
A detail view of the flower.
  • Becky

Looks like Kerria japonica ( Plenifloria) to me.

• Southern Trillium LLC

You are correct Becky. To me, this is an underused plant.

• Lori H

My grandmother used to have one of those, she called it an "Easter Rose". Not sure of the official name. I'd love to find some myself. If anyone knows, please post a location that might sell them. I'd love to have something that brought back memories of my grandma :)

• Southern Trillium LLC

Interesting you mention your grandmother having one. This Kerria, which is now growing at my parent's house, was growing along a pasture fenceline at my grandmother's house. My mother doesn't remember her mother planting it at the edge of the backyard/pasture fence, but it was growing there amidst the vines and privet. I dug up part of it and transplanted it several years ago.

• D. D. H

Japanese kerria. Beautiful - mine blooms throughout the summer. Would like to know proper care as mine is beginning to show age. NC

• Lori H

Now you've got me wanting one! Can anyone tell me where I can find one and if it's the right time to plant it? Please! :)

• Randy

I just put a three of these in earlier this fall. I wasn't familiar with them either, but had a landscape plan done and this was on the list since I liked older heirloom style plants. You will find these many times from smaller growers because they can be easily & cheaply propagated. The other special thing about these plants that no one mentioned here is that their stems are bright green in the winter after the leaves drop. Very nice winter interest!

• Laura D

I have a really tough spot between me and my neighbor's house. They have a bradford pear planted about a foot from the property line and it is like a brick wall. This plant thrives in this spot. Shady and dry and still blooms, have 2 over there.

• Tina H

I believe it is called "Cup of Gold". I have one and it blooms all the time, it is beautiful.

• Betty Hoefle

I had one that grew up kind of "voluntarily" along my back fence in town. I tried to transplant some, but must not have gotten enough root...unsuccessful. It bloomed all summer, but not in the Spring, as I recall. (of course, I DO live in MT.) Would love to find some for my new property.

• Irene

I wonder if it could take the heat here in Southern Calif. It sure is a pretty plant.

• Michelle Eliker

@Irene According to Sunset,you could grow it in Montclair, but not in full sun and with lots of summer water. In all my years gardening in SoCal (I grew up in the Inland Empire area) I never ran across this plant -and I don't see it often up here in the SF area either- so I would say it isn't an easy plant to grow in CA.

• Tina H

Hi Irene, It should take the heat OK, I live in KY and it gets really hot and humid here in the summer.

• Irene

Thank you, Tina

• i have seen this before and now am definitely going to use this in my designs. Especially for the wimter stems. I think the texture for a yellow long blooming plant is also great.

• Yvonne Schultz

I have this in my backyard and was told it is a Carrie Rose - not sure if that is the correct spelling. Once you get it growing you will have more than you know what to do with and the blooms are similar to Lady Banks Rose but the color is more of a golden yellow instead of pale yellow.

• Karen rhinevault

Kerria japonica--we always had these in the old gardens in the neighborhood I grew up in--don't see them much anymore.

• Betty Hoefle

Is Kerria deer resistant, by any chance? would love to grow some, but I have a LOT of deer !

• Randy

@Betty Hoefle I think you will find that most sources list it as deer resistant, but I can tell you that my plants get nibbled on by the deer. It hasn't been an issue because this plant is relatively hardy, but you will most likely see some sampling if this is the only thing nearby for them to munch on. These plants are relatively inexpensive if you can find them from your nursery sources, so I would give it a shot and see what happens!

• Mikell Paulson

My mom had this and called it Japanese Rose! What a beautiful bush!

• Betty Hoefle

thank you, Randy. I will.

• Rick Deeds

Texas Rose.

• Debbie Darche

This one is a double. It comes as a single too.

• Connie D

Actually, it is a Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora'

• Barbara Sawyer

Kerria Japonica has my vote!

• Marilynn Gillespie

Would it grow in NewBrunswick, Canada?

• Donna Craft

Lady Banksia Rose?

• Louise Miller

Definitely Kerria japonica with a double bloom. It's easy to grow and you jst cut back old wood from the base to thin it out.

• Monique Clouatre

I think heliopsis

• John J

Looks like Kerria japonica 'Plena'

• Sherry H.

I think its a climbing rose. I just bought one from eBay.

• Lgsmith

Here in the south it's called China rose. It's a double Kerria japonica like Louise Miller said.

• Djsouza

Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora"

• Catherine Janowicz

Europa

• Paul

it is a China Rose and I do not believe it is USUALLY NOT taken from its home country ....Rare to find If I were you I would ask person where you saw if you can take a Cutting and try to ROOT

• Leny Groot van Leijden

It is a Kerria Japonica

• Cassandra Wilhelm

i have some of them we have always called them a yellow japaneese rose

• Monique Clouatre

Looks like hélopsis.

• Louise Miller

Yes it's definitely Kerria japonica, double bloom. Lx

• Lori H

Does anyone know where I can get one?

• Sue Kiene

I saw one of these for the first time this spring. I googled and some of the online nireseries have them.

• Pat

Yes! It is Kerria japonica! They flowers all summer long, and are the cheeriest shrubs! You must plant one - or several! There are single or double blossoms. Talk to your friendly County Extension Service to see if they are all right for your zone! I am in zone 6

• Noni

Yes, Kerrigan japonica ,you could try taking hardwood cuttings now and stick them in the ground outdoors preferably a little sheltered. Wait until the spring to check if any have rooted as they lose their leaves in winter.

• Debra Carswell Ledford

I have been told they were called Yellow Rose of Texas they are very hardy and spread really fast.The roots grow shallow in the ground so they are easy pulled up and just replant.