Sarah P
Sarah P
  • Fortson, GA
Asked on Mar 20, 2012

I want to replace the ceramic tile in my kitchen, what is the easiest/best way to remove the old tile?

JimKMS WoodworksDesigns by BSB
+5

• KMS Woodworks

I use an air chisel...its like a baby jackhammer. You can also use a electric hammer chisel ( electric tool like a baby jack hammer) depending on how well adhered the tile is a simple flat bar or hand chisel and a hammer work too. The air chisel and hammer chisel can "dig" holes in a wood sub floor if your angle of attack is too steep...keeping the tool low provides an angled attack that works better. you can see my air chisel in this project http://www.hometalk.com/Kevin/project/2181

• Burco Surface & Decor LLC.

elbow grease along with hammer and chisel!

• Cathy B

I agree, it is just patience and hammer and chisel.

• It depends on how it was put down and how old it is? If it's a newer installation, you maybe able to get it up fairly easily with a broad cold chisel and a rubber mallet. Wear safety goggles & knees pads so you can get down close to the work. If it's an older install, you may want to use a hammer drill with a demo chisel on it. You can rent one at home depot. It's hard work either way! LUCK

• Carol C

I recently took down ceramic tile from my backsplash. Because it was up so long, the first whack with the hammer loosened the others and it literally came off with very little effort. I think you have to get lucky or beat it with a hammer and chisel.

• Designs by BSB

easiest? hire someone else to do it (hehe)

• KMS Woodworks

Becky Sue...that reminds me of a joke...What did the lazy housewife make for dinner?.......Reservations

• Jim

Best way is to rent a chipper its small and light. You can remove the tiels in half the time it would take you with a hammer and pry bar