Jennifer Allwood
Jennifer Allwood
  • Kansas City, MO

The Happiest No-Sew Office Curtains in the World

I had been searching to no avail for some pre-made curtains for my home office. I finally found some that I loved, but they were so pricey! I needed to find a no-sew version that would be an affordable option.
the happiest no sew office curtains in the world, reupholster, window treatments, windows
So I have been looking at FINALLY putting up curtains in my office. I haven’t seen any pre-made curtains in stores that I love, so I’ve been searching on Etsy. I stumbled across this fabric. The bright colors made me super happy but the fabric was a little pricey, so I held off on buying them... until I found them in a store for much less! Read my full blog post to get this fabric's name and where I found them for cheaper!
Next came the part of the curtain project that I don’t do…. SEWING. I haven’t used a sewing machine since Home Ec class in 1988. So meet my new best friend: Peel n Stick Fabric Fuse
This singlehandedly REVOLUTIONIZES “sewing” as we know it. We don’t even have to use IRON ON hem anymore! Boom! Mind blown.
I spread out in my kitchen to “sew” the curtains. I did cut the fabric in half. I had to borrow my neighbor Jody’s fabric shears because apparently it is frowned upon to cut fabric with crappy kitchen shears or craft scissors that have tried glue on them. They don’t cut pretty. So I borrowed decent shears.
Many of you asked why I cut the panels in half. Well, the fabric was expensive. It was $305 before a coupon, so I was NOT going to buy double the fabric because can you imagine Mr. Magic’s reaction to $610 of fabric??? Plus rods. Plus clips. Plus no-sew adhesive. I mean he adores me and all, but I don’t know that he or I is into $700 curtains on this side of Heaven. .The truth is I tire of things quickly so I know they won’t stay up forever and I’d rather save the money to buy other stuff to go into the room…. so it’s all good. Get my full curtain dimensions and all the math in my full blog post (link below).
Unfortunately though, when I cut the panels in half, I couldn’t do a big hem because I wanted them to stay as wide as possible. So if you look at my hem close, it’s narrower than my 11th grade Home Ec teacher would prefer. But hey, it’s done!
In typical DIY fashion, I ran out of the Peel N’ Stick before I got it all done, but we hung them up anyway because I didn’t want to wait until I got to the store to get more……
And I finished “hemming” them the next day…. while they were hung. Bahahhahhahaha. You guys, that is how I roll. I KNOW some of you operate exactly like this and there is no shame in our game. Come out and join the revolution!
Our other dilemma came in on the curtain rods and Mr. Magic was the genius that solved it. Our window is wiiiiiiiiiiiiide and we needed a 12-foot rod to go across the top. So find out Mr. Magic's solution in my full blog post here.
And here is my office now. I will be blogging soon about how we also changed the silver on the chandelier to gold and how we accented my desk in gold too to bring the room together.

Jennifer Allwood

• Bonnie

I like big hems on curtains. Would it have been possible to make a faux hem out of facing or a plain fabric that matches background of pattern? I love what you've done, just askin' Thanks

• Ellen

When she referred to narrow hems, she was doing the side seams, NOT the hems. She simply used the wrong word, like a typo. If you look at the second last picture, the hems will be deep.

• Bonnie

• Daisy@TX

Very Nice. Great job! I am always looking for a short cut. I did not know there was "no iron" fusible tape. I usually go directly to the item I'm looking for "iron on" lol. I do want to ask what paint color are your cabinets?

• Danielle Estep

I have been hoping for this type of creative easy fix for my beautiful windows. I just don’t like any of the curtains they sell nowadays. This lets me chose a fabric I love!! Thank you so much for the post ❤️❤️

• Joy Hesson Whitley

New to learning about the fusable tape, thank you!! I'll definitely follow your lead with my dining room curtains!!