Michelle D
Michelle D
  • Clarksville, TN
Asked on Mar 20, 2012

I've had an old-fashioned lilac (transplanted) for 5 years now with beautiful foliage, but no blooms. Any ideas?

Debbiejo68PJ PeddieDouglas Hunt
+5

It's in full sun and is a strong, healthy shrub...it just hasn't blossomed.

Even if the plant was very young when you transplanted it, Michelle, your lilac should have bloomed by now. Have you ever pruned it? If so, you may have inadvertently pruned off the next season's buds. What about fertilizing? A fertilizer high in nitrogen will cause a plant to produce foliage at the expense of blooms.

• Cindy

@Douglas Hunt thanks for your knowledge. Very appreciated :)

• Walter Reeves

Did it come from nearby? If it came from another part of the country it might not be getting enough chill hours in Clarksville

• Garden Inspire

Do not prune it except to remove broken or dead branches. If it does bloom then prune right after blooming to remove dead flowers. Pruning later will remove any flower buds forming for the next year.

• Michelle D

This was an established shoot that came from my grandmother's original shrub within the same county, but a slightly different soil content. I've never pruned it, and only ever fetilized with a basic Peter's that I use every 2-3 weeks throughout the summer. Thanks for the suggestions; I'll keep researching...not ready to give up yet!

Maybe it just needs a little longer. I'd definitely want to hang on to a plant that came from my grandmother.

• PJ Peddie

try epson salt ???? helped mine

• Debbiejo68

Hi, I am from Va. I transplanted one at one time and it took 12 years before it bloomed. I have no idea why. I read on the internet somewhere where someone said he had one for 30 years and never had bloomed. Very disappointing.