Linda D
Linda D
  • Indianapolis, IN
Asked on Mar 20, 2012

What is the best and cheapest way to trim a window? Plastic? Composit? Wood?

Linda DMichelle EKMS Woodworks
+7

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Plastic (PVC), because you will never have to replace it again and it is easily available. Prime it with a primer for plastic because it is so hard. Other paints will work okay until they are scraped or touched with a pressure washer. CP

• Linda D

This is for the interior of the house. I'm sorry I failed to mention that.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Wood for sure then, because it's cheaper. CP

• Linda D

Thank you so much. Wood it is then. Now, how do I put it on the wall without denting it with a hammer? Isn't there a special tool you use between the hammer and the nail or is it a brad?

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

If you don't have a brad or nail gun, hammer the nail almost all the way in then set the nail just below the surface with a nail punch. Then you are ready to fill the whole with wood filler and sand smooth.

• Linda D

Thank you so much. Sounds easy enough.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Better than hammer marks...

what is the best and cheapest way to trim a window plastic composit wood, home maintenance repairs, windows, the greenhorn way
  • KMS Woodworks

Actually for "paint" grade MDF is often cheaper. Wood can run a $1 or more per LF...while a full stick of MDF can be had for 4-5 bucks. I trimed out a whole house of windows with 1 x 4 MDF painted white this is a good match for the white vinyl windows...

what is the best and cheapest way to trim a window plastic composit wood, home maintenance repairs, windows, MDF window trim
  • Michelle E

About as in expensive as MFD...if you are talking interior trim - find a ReNu store (habitat for humanity store), you can get a stick of wood trim for $4-$8 and it will hold up much better than MFD in the long run.

• Linda D

Great idea and I love the greenhorn method, that's me. I guess you could tell though, huh? :-) Thank you so much for all your help.