Sherry
Sherry
  • Canada

What paint to use on unfinished pine cabinet for rustic look?

Terra GazellePat DareneauSusan Zidek
+19

I bought a pre-loved glass & pine china cabinet with a drawer base that had never had a finish and is paint ready, doesn't even need sanding. I want to do a somewhat rustic look in a cream color. I was thinking of a milk or chalk paint so it doesn't end up with a plastic look from todays acrylic latex paints. Can't find online from Home Depot or Michaels. (Anyone know of a store near Spokane, WA?)Where do I find these paints and how to use them? Thanks!
q what paint to use on unfinished pine cabinet for rustic look, chalk paint, painted furniture, rustic furniture
  • Sia@South 47th

Hi Sherry! You can make your own chalk paint or Annie Sloan has a good one. Here is her site: http://www.anniesloan.com/ Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint is all the rage at the moment, for Milk Paint, but there are others. Here is her site: http://www.missmustardseedsmilkpaint.com/ Both include Tutorials. Can't wait to see the final "Reveal"!!

• Sherry

Thanks! I found a couple of shops in Spokane from the Annie Sloan website and will go look.

• Em Hooper

CeCe Caldwell milk paints are another good brand. cececaldwells.com Different colors and I understand fewer chemicals in this one.

• Daniece Odom

Make your own! Its so easy. There are many recipes on the net. I use the following... 1/4 cup of plaster of paris 3 cups of flat latex paint 1/2 cup of water after painting let dry sand lightly wax with minwax dark finishing wax looks great!

• Shabby Paints

WARNING mixing Plaster of paris without a mask can scar lungs and cause an asthma attack. Be mindful of those around you when mixing "homemade" paints. Sorry I have to jump in since the warning isn't always on the package because drywallers know to wear a mask. ;)

• J

In lieu of plaster of paris, you can substitute unsanded grout. :)

• Shabby Paints

Unsanded grout sticks better but while it is dry it is toxic and can cause breathing problems. It is only toxic while floating in the air when dry so don't let a big cloud of it jump into the air where you can inhale it. I guess what I'm trying to say is just get it wet and settled so it's not floating around. :)

• J

Good to know. Thank you.

• Shabby Paints

Leave it to me to learn things the hard way but, it was for a reason :)

• Sherry

Thank you all for the invaluable information! The reason I questioned what kind of paint was because pine has no noticable graining or pattern so unlike something like oak that shows through nicely under a see-through finish, pine could just look blah. I think I am going to try a couple of different finishes & techniques on the back and pick whichever works best. I will post again when done... in a couple of weeks.

• Shabby Paints

If you use a quality chalk paint then you won't see the grain. But if you are referring to the areas you distress (sand off) if you don't like the way it looks you can fake what shows through on the distressed parts. Plus no sanding and no priming. :) My chalk paint line goes live on Friday if you don't mind a shameless plug. We are the only one actually made and owned in the USA and it is totally safe. I'm allergic to everything so finally a safe paint for all :) If you have an idea of a technique you want I can shoot you some ideas on the easiest way to do it with any paint. Good luck!

• April E

1 easy way is to use acrylic craft paint diluted w/ water it will look faded then you can distress it a bit and give it a good clear coat in a satin clear I think you would like this look it is inexpensive and easy to do I use a sponge to apply it (in a wipe not a blot) so it goes on a bit unevenly to geve it a more "worn" appearance

• April E

also if you would like the pine grain to show up better use a torch and run it over the wood that brings out any grain available in any wood this can surprise you what it does w/ pine

• Anastasia Howard Peterke

The easiest paints to use, and distress are CeCeCaldwell or American paint company. Simply paint on, and distress with a damp cloth. Mix a few colors for a truly unique finish. for more inspiration, visit my friend shelly's blog. http://shizzle-design.com/

• Cathy

you can even use Gesso mixed with water..i did this on old paneling..looks really good !!

• Cindy V

no paint, just distress it a bit, seal it. the natural wood is beautiful. wish I could find something like this.

• Tamara

NO paint. Don't ruin it! It is so pretty now and will darken with age.

• Isabel Paulson

Do not paint!

• Susan Zidek

Milk paint. You can google it.

• Pat Dareneau

stain it the color of your choice

• Terra Gazelle

I have no idea what the big deal is about useing Plaster of Paris. It is harmful in the air..you only use about 2 Tablespoons and you do not shake it up. I love how this Paint is so easy to go on. The secret is in the mixing. Add the plaster of paris to warm water and stir it well...it really matters that it is mixed. I have an old mixer I use. When you add it to the paint..again mix it well. It will have a consistency like pudding. A little sanding after.. you can make a wash of a different color and go over it like a dry brush and it will be beautiful..and aged.

• Terra Gazelle

There is nothing pretty about Pine as it gets older..I have a china hutch, dining table and chairs that match that were beautiful..and I still love the style. They were white washed on the edges, very much French Provincial. I have had them for 18 years...over the years they did not darken they just got scraped, marked, clawed...Pine is soft and will not take years of use. I love painted furniture as long as the piece is sturdy and has beautiful bones. Your piece does. ..but its not an antique or any thing particularly valuable. I would paint it.. you could make it fabulous! I collect pictures of painted furniture and kitchen redos on Pinterest. Pinterest is a great place to get inspiration and to get tutorials. https://www.pinterest.com/terragazelle/kitchen-redos/ https://www.pinterest.com/terragazelle/painting-furniture/ https://www.pinterest.com/terragazelle/farm-kitchen-decor/