Sherry B
Sherry B
  • Dallas, GA
Asked on Mar 21, 2012

How can I remove tile adhesive and carpet glue from a concrete floor in preparation for staining

Sue SandersKristin ToppingTodeen2
+4

• 3po3

I think your best bet is a floor scraper like this: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/flooring/flooring-tools-accessories/floor-bully-hd-floor-scraper-50349.html You can sometimes rent things like this. I have also seen power floor scraper attachments for reciprocating saws that you might look into.

• KMS Woodworks

I've also had some great results using a glue solvent and a wire brush. For large areas it might be more time effective to bring in floor buff with a sanding or grinding head it the layers are thick.

• Hi Sherry, Tile adhesive is usually black and gummy, carpet glue is generally yellow/white and brittle. Each requires a different emulsion to break down and remove. Its a very invasive process. Unless you get it all off, (and I mean out of the pores as well), your stain may not "take". Are you using reactive stains? (acid stain)? They are not a good choice post carpet/tile. Your best bet, post glue, for the diy'er is a solid color, solvent based floor stain/sealer like what you can get at Sherwin Williams. Taking this on as a "decorative concrete" project is not for the diy'er when you are starting with a base of glue(s). Even the pros dislike removing glue but unless its ALL gone, whatever you do on top of it will fall apart quickly. Good Luck !

• Opal

I used a metal pastry cutter with no solvents or anything else. My 800 sf space took about 7-8 hours over a 3 day time period. My hand were killing me, save a piece of your carpet to kneel on or a throw out pillow. http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-577-Stainless-Scraper-Chopper/dp/B000SSZ4Q4/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1423887885&sr=1-7&keywords=pastry+cutter

• Todeen2

use a heat gun and scrapper

• Kristin Topping

This really looks great! Thank you for sharing! You can explore more ideas if you consult a professional of certified flooring company as they can give a best advice for your home floor. I deal with flooring company and our goal is to not only help you choose the flooring to bestsuit your lifestyle and budget, but to make the process easy and enjoyable foryou. Thanks for nice sharing.

• Sue Sanders

I will be haveing the problem soon as want to remove glued down Congoleum. This has a soft backing that I have dropped a glass on and it bounced without breaking. Its seen its better days as when something drops on it, it makes a mark that collects dirt. Want to consider ceramic tile or wood. I have slab floors. Think good idea to consult with a "floor" company to how they would remove.