A Mantel Gets Springed up With One Wood Scrap Happy Window Box

$0

Those that know me, know I live, eat and breathe reclaimed wood. So when the opportunity came to 'spring up' my mantel with something new, I ran to the wood pile. Well... more like broken barrel. After staring at the rubble for a spell, this vision appeared... would this work? I admit, it's a tad off the wall... but hey... what stuff of mine isn't? :)
Some folks love ice cream. Others love coffee. Well... add me to that one for sure. But my vice is reclaimed wood. So this scrap happy rustic window box does it for me!
It all started with a crumbled up wooden barrel on it's last leg... or beyond. Hey, no worries... I just picked out the good stuff (there is some if you look HARD) and got to work.

Want to see what I did with the barrel rings?! Click HERE!
I started with some fence planks. Creating a box to the desired size was the first step.
Then I cut the scrap wood into half hazard looking pieces, staggering them. They were then attached to 3 sides of the box from the outside.
Three drills were hard at work producing something that resembled it was found with no work at all... Imagine.
And I just couldn't leave well enough alone. I wanted at least one plank looking like it was freshly ripped off a pallet or something. Grabbing a stencil, I just tapped on a few numbers, fading one of them half way through.
Adding a few stems from a willow tree and honeysuckle bush, it looks right at home on that mantel!
NOW I'm ready for spring! Reclaimed wood to the rescue once again...
BINGO is part of my own line of Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils. It's fun to work with bits and pieces of stencils to create your own special twists on your projects! Find this BINGO stencil and many others HERE

• Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils  (http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/shop)
  • Rusty junk hardware and broken barrel  (had it)

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Mary Harrison

You said you put the scraps together in a half hazard way. Did you mean "haphazard"? If not, please explain what half hazard is, as I don't know much about wood scraps.

• KELLY

I have a question that may be related.  Any ideas on what to do with the barrel rings??? I have several and have never come up with anything clever over the years. My very creative friend has some also and says the same thing. I once used one as a frame for a concrete step. That's it - all I got!

• Julie

I have some metal rings left over from my wood barrels . do you know what I could make with them?

• Joanie

I'm NOT in to china and glorious jewels, but I am in to usin' scraps around my house and re cycling into something I LIKE.....just me, no one else>........Your's great and enjoy it!!!

• Leslie tate

love it!