Louise
Louise

This plant is very old. Just last year, I put 3 different smaller pots

LouisePenster47Frankie Laney
+3

together into this longer planter. They've lived outside all spring thru fall on my shady deck for years and have always done well. But look what happened this year. The now brownish and not-so-pretty areas were new growth, I believe. What do you suppose made this happen? Nothing bad is happening to them right now but I want to make sure it doesn't.
this plant is very old just last year i put 3 different smaller pots, gardening
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Looks like it maybe getting too much water.

• Louise

So, maybe when a lot of rain is expected, I should put it under a covered area?

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Probably would be better for them as long as it is an area that will get good air flow. I just viewed a report for Georgia which said we are in for a hot and wet summer...blech...

• Frankie Laney

These guys can do without a lot of water. Also, they do better in dappled sunlight or early morning sun. No direct hot sunlight. I water about once a week and use time-release plant food.

• Penster47

They are a type of succulent and I believe kin to the "Mother-in-law Tongue" family. They do not like a lot of water or hot sun.

• Louise

These have lived in the same spot all spring thru fall for several years and have done very well. That's why I was surprised at their current problem. The problem hasn't gotten worse, so maybe it was too much water, as Donna Dixon has suggested. To make the entire planter look prettier, I wonder if I should cut off the unsightly parts? I think I will, but should I cut them way down to the bottom of each injured "leaf" or just cut off the injured part and cut it into a point so it will sorta match the rest of the plant?