Judy S
Judy S

Please name this plant

JudyTanya Peterson FelsheimLinda King
+15

This plant sheds its leaves in winter and in May bears new leaves then buds then these white flowers with yellow centers. It is a perennial and very hardy. This shrub is very old and does not need pruning.
please name this plant, flowers, gardening
  • Daniece Odom

It looks like "mock orange".

• Frankie Laney

I believe this is the "fried egg" poppy. You can check it out here. I used TinyURL since it was a loooog link. http://tinyurl.com/ay4f4o5

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It looks more like the mock orange (Philidelphus) than the fried egg poppy to me. Is the bloom fragrant?

• Dianne L

Kinda looks like this Camellia? My Mock Orange has little tiny flowers...

• Frankie Laney

Donna Dixson may be correct, yours does look like this http://www.gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=08652

• Catherine Smith

I agree with Donna Dixson, looks very much like my friend's Mock Orange bush. Smells like heaven, btw :)

• Sharon Levandowski

I believe it is a trillium plant. Here they grow wild in the woods and forests. I believe they were at one time on the endangered list. Goggle plant identification and it will show you a photo identical to the one posted.

• Judy S

Thanks Hometalk lovers...my shrub is a mock orange. Mine doesn't have a fragrance (yet). I will take better care of it.

• Susie

Sharon - it definitely isn't trillium - tri - 3 is the number of petals for that plant btw Flowers look too big for mock orange that grows in Tucson - perhaps there are other varieties across the country also called mock orange - possibly Philadelphus lewisii - a native in the western states

• Judy

Sharon, NOT Trillium! Trillium is not a shrub, it is a single flower which grows low to the ground & has a 3 petal blossom growing directly from a 3 leaf (actually bracts) formation. BTW ppl, never pick a Trillium. It seriously damages the plant, preventing it from taking nourishment. It can take years for the plant to recover enough to bloom again.

• Suzanne Kennerly

Looks like a Chinese Dogwood...I have one in my yard..

• Judy S

Suzanne, thanks for your feedback. I might have to get the Chinese dogwood. Donna & Catherine are correct. I googled mock orange and it matched.

• Donna

clematis

• Leona slone

It's a Mayapple.

• Linda King

It is called Trillium.

• Judy

It is NOT a Trillium. Trillium has three (tri) petals. Here is a picture of a trillium:

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

@Judy Love your mock orange plant, it reminded me of many other plants I have growing here also in Grants pass so I was lost! I learn a lot on here! Are you living in the city of GP or out in the county?

• Judy

Tanya You're getting your Judy's confused. Not difficult as there are a lot of us. The original post came from Judy S & she's the one with the mock orange. It doesn't say where she lives. I'm Judy A, I live in the country (out near Turtle Lane) & I don't have a mock orange. A friend of mine off of New Hope does though & I just might ask her for a start.....lovely plant! Are you in town?