Part of a Ceiling Fan is Transformed Into an Accessory Tray

$10

I was planning on making just a dragonfly out of the fan blades but I was inspired by a blog I follow!

One of my friends...in fact, one of my most supportive friends...gave me her old ceiling fan. (Thanks, Lisa!) I had planned on using the blades to make a dragonfly. But being the frugal person that I am, I was trying to figure out something to make out of every part of it. "Waste not, want not" I always say. I removed the blades (for a dragonfly), the brackets (maybe, a sunflower) and then I came upon the outer band of the fan motor (see red arrow in photo below). This particular band was very decorative and I knew that I could do something with it. Probably. Eventually.

I had no idea what I could do with it. I mean, it's just a brass circular piece. I thought maybe an idea would come to me if I painted it. So I did.

Still nothing. I subscribe to just a hand full of bloggers. One, of which, is Confessions of a Serial Do-It-Yourselfer, whom I just started following last week. As luck would have it, I opened up my email from her and Christy was showing how to give a makeover to a jewelry/trinket holder.

>GASP< I don't have a jewelry/trinket holder....but I could make one!! So, that's what I decided to do. I painted it earlier so my next step was to put a bottom on it. Since it was already "shabby", I opted for strips of wood. I'm still a newbie when it comes to power tools. With that being said, the good Lord was with me while I was measuring and cutting the strips into a circle. "Why?", do you ask? Well, there's two reasons.

1. I was able to make it fit perfectly (kinda). 2. I still had all of my fingers. Knowing the pieces fit, I glued them together. Lastly, I painted it.

Normally, with any project I do, I'm constantly making revisions. With that being said, I have added "feet" onto the bottom since I first posted this.

What do you think? Would you do something like this?

• Ceiling fan  (friend)
  • White chalk paint  (Michael's)
  • 4-wooden knobs  (Hobby Lobby)

To see more: https://tooinspiredtosleep.wordpress.com/2016/06/03/blog-post-title-4/

• Linda Smith

That is so amazing. I just love it. I would totally do this. Thanks for sharing.

• Tara Clancey Edwards

Love it! Wish someone around here was skilled with power tools. After "I hate plumbing", the second phrase out of my husbands mouth is "I'm no carpenter". LOL... although he does remodeling all the time, its more "rough cuts".

• Heather McKinney

I grew tired of waiting for my husband to find the time to cut this or screw in that, so I decided to learn how to do all that myself. Now, it's a bonding time for us...he definitely makes time since we work on these projects together now.