Marvin R
Marvin R
  • Sanford, NC
Asked on Mar 22, 2012

Grass id and what to do with the weeds?

Dorothy Yates JacksonDORLISMarvin R
+13

Im not sure what kind of grass i have and was wanting an id if possible it could just be weeds lol. It seems like right now there are alot of weeds mixed into the grass and it does this every year.Is there a product i can use to kill the weeds and not the grass.Ive tried weed and feed but it doesnt seem to help.Ive posted pics of the grass close up and one of the whole yard that shows the weeds.I hope i dont have to dig up the yard and start over...lol
Grass close up what kind is this?
Grass close up what kind is this?
q grass id and what to do with the weeds, gardening, landscape
View of weeds in the yard
View of weeds in the yard
  • Becky H

The second photo looks like some variety of St. Augustine grass.

• Marvin R

Thanks Becky

• Walter Reeves

The grass looks like fescue to me...especially if it's green now. I see violets in the first pic, henbit in the second and dandelions and maybe clover in the third. Liquid sprayed weedkillers like WeedBeater or Weed B Gon would kill them all.

• Deborah C

Was it brown for the winter? If so it is a warm season grass, such as St. Augustine. If it was green throughout the winter it is a cool season grass, a type of fescue. Take a sample to your county extension office for proper ID.

• We H

Looks like my grass and I have fescue.

• Watch out for the violets. They will take over anywhere and everywhere, as beautiful and day dreamy as they are.

• Marvin R

So would a product like that hurt the grass at all?

• Marvin, you sure you did not take a photo of my yard. I am working hard to try to get the weeds down this year and to get my yard looking better without resodding the whole thing.

• June F

how do you get rid of the violets..my neighbor has that problem and I don't want it....we live in a townhome community

• Wendy B

hmmm I keep wishing the grass would die and I'd just have violets, haha!

• Caitlin M

Wendy... I agree, I am amazed at the number of violets that popped up in my lawn.

• Susan S

Actually, I'm wondering why people are wanting to get rid of wild violets. They're so pretty and do they hurt anything???

• June F

because they take over everything ...I would like my lawn to be just that...lawn

• Marvin R

Grass and weeds are looking some better i used Ortho weed and feed for southern lawns.The guy at lowes said they have one that is includes bug spray also but they are sold out its new this year.

• DORLIS

I try not to use pesticides/herbicides, not good for honey bees and butterflies or my pets. I would let the violets go, mowing will keep them controlled.

• Dorothy Yates Jackson

Not like the fescue I've had here, in second picture. Look up dallis grass on google. Yes, dallis. Only way to get rid of it is to dig it up, so we just mow and dig a little here and there occasionally. Must get all the roots when soil is very, very wet. Wish there was no such thing, but such is life.