Asked on Mar 23, 2016

Removed wood burner now a patch on ceiling

B. EnneMelissa Feeney GebickeHeather Kepich Farkas


Had a wood burner removed by my landlord. I have been left with what the picture shows. Any suggestions on how to hide it or blend it into the ceiling!
8 answers
  • KatAych
    on Mar 23, 2016

    Ceiling medallion?

  • Laura Williams-May
    Laura Williams-May
    on Mar 23, 2016

    a "ceiling rose" if it is not too expensive will cover it up. Google it.

  • William
    on Mar 23, 2016

    A medallion or "ceiling rose" would do the trick and is a quick coverup. Still would look like something is missing or was there at one time. Every time I would go into the room, THAT would be the first thing I would see. What you can do to blend it in with the rest of the ceiling is sand the drywall patch even with the rest of the ceiling, get a small container spackling compound, a stiff brush. Put some compound over the whole patch and stipple the compound up and down with the brush to get the "flower" effect to match the rest of the ceiling till it looks good to your satisfaction. Let it dry overnight and touch it up with paint if it looks like you need to. You may not even need to paint once its dry.

    • Darla
      on Mar 24, 2016

      You should be able to mimic the ceiling texture with spackle, then ask the landlord for a little leftover ceiling paint so it matches. Looks like they used something circular, turned it a little then pulled straight down.

  • William
    on Mar 23, 2016

    Your welcome. I hope you give it a try. A little try and error and you'll get it right. Most of the work is done for you. Just a little finishing.

  • Heather Kepich Farkas
    Heather Kepich Farkas
    on Mar 23, 2016

    I'm going to try and match the pattern, hopefully it works.

  • Melissa Feeney Gebicke
    Melissa Feeney Gebicke
    on Mar 24, 2016

    Have you thought of adding a skylight? You can add a cylinder type one. We moved a stove from the middle of a room to the corner and we put in a big skylight.

  • B. Enne
    B. Enne
    on Mar 25, 2016

    Could you put a mirrored tile or buy a tin or plastic tile that looks like tin at HD or Lowes? You can often buy them as a sample. Another option would be to patch the ceiling and buy a picture frame and just paint everything the ceiling would look like a square, rectangular or oval medallion.

Your comment...