Easy DIY Outdoor Light!

I'm doing a screen porch makeover at the moment and wanted to add a bit of light over the drop-leaf table. Using some grapevine balls and white lights with brown wires I put together an little porch chandy in no time!
I added a bit of fun to my screen porch with an easy outdoor porch light!
I used 2 large & 3 medium grapevine balls. Two strands of white lights (50 count) with brown wires make these little orbs glow-a birch branch holds the lights and burlap ribbon hold up the branch!
I threaded the lights into the balls and tied them in place with garden twine to make sure the glow was uniform...
It's easy to get the lights inside the grapevine by gently moving the tiny vines apart.
Balancing a birch branch between 2 chairs, I played around with the placement of the balls (which are attached with twine) until I liked the look...
I ran the cord up the twine and connected it to a white extension cord that I hid between one of the loops of burlap ribbon which holds the branch. (the other end of the burlap ribbon is attached to the ceiling w/ eye hooks)
The light makes such a nice glow and doesn't obstruct our view during the day!
All Things Heart and Home

• Gat13754152

Where do you buy the grapevine balls?

• Peggy Comer

I've seen them in Michaels..

• Lesley Owens

If you live in the NorthEast, grapevines are EVERYWHERE... In fact, they have a tendency to "take over" a tree and basically choke the tree. It's a non-native species. Thus, many people (like myself) spend time pulling the grapevines OUT of the trees each spring. So I don't buy them... I make them. Some of my friends make huge sculptures out of them. One caution though: There's also a posion oak vine. It's easy to tell the difference, but just look it up before you start fiddling around with vines you're not familiar with.

• Pj

soak the grapevines in water before shaping, makes them much more pliable. A kids plastic swimming pool is good for soaking.
    • Doreen

. I actually have grapes in my yard, but I don't know how to or what makes the hard vine. If anyone knows please let me know. Although you can make your own by using twine & glue wrapping around different size balls or balloons & make small or large ones!!
    • Marja-Lisa Apunen

I think she bought vine balls try an all year Nursery Garden Centre ?

• Mary Hofstra

Can it be outside all the time? Can it withstand the elements? I live in MI so I'd take it in in the winter, but is it okay to leave it out in the rain and wind?

• Shawna Bailey

It might not do so well in the rain

• Betty

Maybe if you used outdoor lights it could work, but under a roof is best.
    • Fan6291390

Although grapevine is a natural product, the wire can rust. Try spraying the grape vine with a water sealant before you light it.

• Groovyzuzu

Absolutely beautiful! I love this! Well done!
  • Marja-Lisa Apunen

I wondered though how the white light got their electricity ? There would be wires showing connected to each ball .Unless a battery pack and that would show wouldn’t it ?
    • Ellyn

Look at the pictures and you will see how the lighting is done.

• Rsb11990940

Very elegant idea...looks great
  • Phyllis

I love this project. My apartment complex doesn't allow anything to be hung on the balcony or connected to the building. I'm thinking a PVC pipe stand painted brown might work. Thanks for making my mind spin with new ideas.