Jen Pontow
Jen Pontow
  • Combined Locks, WI

How do I stop birds from eating our sugar snap peas?

JudyMichael BrookingBarb
+13

We have an issue with birds coming into our vegetable garden and eating the sugar snap peas that are growing before they the peas actually form. How do I keep the birds out? I need to be able to go into the garden and weed, etc., so I can't crawl into the garden to do that. Any suggestions??? 2 years in a row they have ruined our crop and it is our kids favorite veggie. Thanks!
  • Vicki

I have same problems with birds to eat my veggie garden and blueberry for years. I used bird proof net over them but hassle to lift the net to collect my veggies and blueberries. Also, sparrows and mocking birds were trapped in the net that I had to remove them from the net. So I decided no more gardens for me here. :-(

• Sia@South 47th

I plant in raised beds and use cheap pvc for hoops, then attach netting over the entire thing. Let's in the sun, keeps the birds out. I also have a drip system, so 'watering' isn't an issue. When I harvest, I lift the net. Takes a bit of time, but worth it for me at least! I also leave one bed uncovered, planted with various veggies, flowers etc that are 'extra's'. This keeps them busy and fed!

• Leah Belverd

I've had great success with ScareTape. It's a kind of reflective ribbon that you can tie onto your stakes that keep birds and other pests away (besides bugs of course). I used to cover my fruit/veggies with burlap-but what a pain that was! And the birds ended up getting under the burlap anyway. ScareTape makes it easy to access your plants, and it's worked great for me! Honestly, it's kind of pretty, too! Here's a link: http://dalenproducts.com/products/scarecrow-devices/holographic-scare-tape/

• Leah Belverd

Vicki, I hope you pick up gardening again-there are solutions!! :)

Along the lines of the Scare Tape, there are mylar balloons with menacing faces on them. Make it a family project by buying mylar balloons and have your children draw the faces on them.

• Jen Pontow

Thanks so much for the help!! going to try a couple of these. I had also read that you could sprinkle whole cloves throughout the garden and that critters don't like the smell and will stay away. Anyone ever tried that?

• Patricia Pierson

All of these ideas are new to me except the net. I have to much to do to take that off each time. For my bean vines which I grow on a trellis. I used old CD's they move, sparkle in the sun and you can put them close enough to touch to make pies.

• Sia@South 47th

The tapes, balloons and other hanging things never kept the birds away from my crops out here in Northern CA. They must just be used to seeing those types of things, because they fly right through them and have a buffet party LOL

• Vicki

I think I tried about everything from A to Z to scare birds off. At first they worked but the birds came back. I tried several clean aluminum foil pie pans to hang over my veggie garden, hologram reflection shining charm long strings to hang over, to hang cds, regular balloons, pinwheels, windsocks, hanging charm of long shining pipes produce the sounds of vibrations, holographic scare tapes. and bells.

• Vicki

I wonder if solar or battery sound sensor motion for animals, birds to hear, not humans works to scare animals and birds? did anyone try?

• Jen Pontow

Well we went with the scare tape suggestion and holy cow has that worked. We have had NO birds in our veggie garden now. And my sugar snap peas look awesome! I am sooo excited to have learned about this tape. Thank you soo much!!!!!

• Gary Stenzel

I was going to mention using old CDs on string, but that was already mentioned. Works great for me!

• Barb

What is scare tape?

• Michael Brooking

I tie old CD discs to string and hang them between sticks, seems to work for me
  • Judy

Get some bird netting to put over the peas.