Betty
Betty
  • Cartersville, GA
Asked on Mar 23, 2012

African violets

Steve Mindee LapeTrudy HiblerShaza Lee
+7

I was just given an afrrican violet in a beautiful ceramic pot. It is blooming yellow flowers. I don't want to kill this one. I have a house with lots of sunlight and I have been told to put one ice cube in it and let it melt and that is all the water it needs. Help I don't want this one to die.
  • KMS Woodworks

Here are some tips from the University of Rhode Island . http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/africanviolet.html

If you have good light, Betty, you're more than halfway there. In the winter, keep your violet in a south or west window. During warmer seasons, windows with east or north exposures are best. Because African violets like humidity, put your plant in a plastic tray or saucer filled with pebbles, and maintain a shallow level of water in the tray. (I hope your pretty pot has holes in the bottom, otherwise watering becomes much more challenging.) I don't like the ice cube idea because cold water can cause ring spot on the leaves, and there is no set amount of water to give a plant. Get used to sticking your finger in the soil. When it is slightly dry, water thoroughly. After awhile you'll be able to "read" your plant and know when it needs water. Good luck!

• Judy C

I have mine in a regular clay pot which I sit in a saucer of water and never let the leaves touch water. just soak water up from the bottom. had it for 10 years now, so I must be doing something right. Good Luck!

• Betty

It died. I tried really I did.

Sorry to hear that, Betty.

• KMS Woodworks

R.I.P.

• Donnaleedesigns52

Try again, African violets are easy to grow. I was always told to water from the bottom, have follwowed this rule and never lost one yet

• Shaza Lee

do NOT put an ice cube in... it needs room temperature water. do not overwater, but keep the media moist. .it is native to tropical rain forests that are warm and moist at all times. the shock of the ice cube is what killed it.

• Trudy Hibler

My mother in law has almost a forest of African violets in her home as well as orchids. The orchids she waters with an ice cube and she has special pots for the violets that water from the bottom. A few of the violets, though, are in regular pots. She's used the ice cube method for them and they're thriving right along with the rest. They all have good light.

• Steve Mindee Lape

How do you feed them?