Julie
Julie
  • Searcy, AR

My Dear Mother's Artwork & Sewing

My mother passed away in February 2008, but over her lifetime she was very prolific artistically. She favored Oriental styles, but also painted & sewed many other things. Hope you enjoy & might be inspired by the few pieces I show here :)
Pillow. Hand stitched needlepoint.
Pillow. Hand stitched needlepoint.
Geometric shapes. Wall-hanging. Needlepoint.
Mom did this from building the frame, stretching the canvas, to painting.
Hand painted vase.
Hand painted vase.
Hand painted vase.
Hand painted vase.
Two (approx) 5"x5" framed paintings.
Two (approx) 5"x5" framed paintings.
Not a "match", but Mom needlepointed the chair seat and the pillow.
Looking inside her cabinet that displayed a few of the 12 China plates she painted & fired in her kiln. Also painted the blue/gold vase. Others items were bought.
Close-up of one of the China plates Mom painted.
I saw her draw this over a few days -in pen- while she talked at her home desk on the phone! Truly amazing. Done free hand without a design or picture to go by.
Needlepoint wall-hanging. Sorry not all of it is shown!

• Julie

Thank you ladies! I thought these pictures should be shared. Gail, I definitely inherited her love for it! I love it ALL, like she did. I painted and created mosaics while she was alive, and did do some cross stitch, but now that I'm sewing more & wanting to try needlepoint like she did it, I wish -all the time- I could ask her advice. I grew up watching her doing all kinds of art (like above) and did learn some things--but wish I'd had more interest then! My favorite part as a kid was sitting next to her while she painted(her biggest love). She was a realism painter & the detail is amazing. We're in the middle of DIY at home so all of her paintings are covered/stored. When I get them out I'll share some of those too. Beautiful work. I appreciate all of the kind comments-- she was a true talent & a big part of my heart :)

• Sharron Abrams

Just beautiful !!!!!!!!