At The Picket Fence
At The Picket Fence
  • Florence, KY

I Don't Want My Potting Bench to Get Dirty! Is That Bad?

I've always wanted a potting bench and when I found this one last year at Big Lots my potting bench dreams came true! The problem is that now it looks so pretty all dressed up with mason jars and a vintage galvanized bucket and cute little wooden boxes that I can hardly stand the thought of getting it all dirty. I know I must actually put it to good use (you know that whole form meets function thing) and that it is very handy for doing actual potting. But, sometimes I wish it could just stay like this forever! ~Vanessa
i don t want my potting bench to get dirty is that bad, gardening
At The Picket Fence

• Pam

I understand completely!! It is sooo pretty! ( I'd leave it, and get another one. Haha, ) I put a trash bag down on mine to catch the overflow, but, it's no where nice as urs!!

• Christine

Did you figure this out? I discovered that you can use paint base and get a completely invisible, matte, durable finish. No joke. Get the darkest latex, exterior paint base (sometimes labeled a 4 or 5). It goes on frighteningly white, but dries absolutely invisible. I know, I keep saying that! The exterior base has the UV protection stuff in it, which helps protect colors and wood. Another use is to put it over chippy finishes. It glues down the chips without the gummy look other sealants leave. It's like there's nothing there, but chips don't fall off anymore. I've ever made. But if you haven't already put some other finish on this pretty bench, paint base will seal it and you'll be very, very pleased. I'm using it for lots of raw wood projects, because they remain ... raw! :)