My Real DIY Cat Tree!

$90
1 Month
Advanced

This is a project I'd wanted to do for a long time, and I'm thrilled with how it turned out.
For comparison, my main inspiration was selling for $800...no thanks! Here's the quick and dirty on mine.The base is made out of plywood that's been stained and framed out. I absolutely loved these trees and really wanted one, but I didn't want to (and can't) drop $800. Plus, these trees actually use faux branches, so I thought it would be even cooler and cheaper if I used real branches. Here's how I got started. I found some branches in the woods behind my parents' house. After letting them dry out, I scraped the bark off, sanded, stained, and sealed them. Next we attached the branches to the plywood base. Here are some progress pics:
I used pieces of scrap wood for the platforms. I loved being able to use these little pieces that had just been sitting around, waiting for a project!I also used wooden dowels and stapled/glued on sisal rope to create the scratching posts! (Don't worry, you can remove the staples after the glue has dried to prevent your kitty's claws from getting stuck.)
The kitties love it and spend a lot of time lounging on it looking out the window. I'm really glad they love it, because usually cats hate things that you put a lot of work in to or buy for them. :) For a full supply list, info on how I made the scratching posts, tons of tips, and really detailed explanations of each step, you can check out the full post at my blog below!

And if you love kitties, you must check out easy cat condo made out of cheap tables and my list of 20 best DIYs for your pets!

• Lumber
  • Stain and finish
  • Sisal and glue

3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
By Brittany Goldwyn

• M. M..
    M. M..

Do the twining vines ever catch the cats' claws as they jump/climb up and down past it?

• By Brittany Goldwyn
      By Brittany Goldwyn

Nope! Sometimes they bat at them, but we try to keep their claws clipped so they won't get caught on things (and so they can do less damage to furniture)

• Sno19399288
    Sno19399288

Are the rocks loose or glued on to the platforms?

• Kimmy Chancellor
    Kimmy Chancellor

I'm thinking about making a similar one for my apartment this next semester, but my cat is pretty big. In what way did you attach the branches to the base? And do you think there are any changes you would make if you were to do it again? Yours looks really nice and classy, and I'm excited to find that there are cuter options are out there. :)