Totally Repair Dead Grass Spots Damaged By Dog Urine In 3 Easy Steps

Where I live now it is springtime! The snow has disappeared from the yard and the lawn is starting to turn green except for a few areas. Unfortunately, every spring we have some areas that our beloved family dog named Duke damaged with his dog urine.
For several years I researched and read all kinds of information about how to prevent urine burned grass from occurring thanks to Duke but have not found anything that was doable and 100% successful. So I shifted my thinking and efforts from prevention to spending some time to repairing the burned areas every spring.
totally repair dead grass spots damaged by dog urine in 3 easy steps, lawn care, pets, pets animals
I am fortunate to have a best friend who is a horticulturist. With her guidance and with my trial and error experiments over the years I have come up with a system that totally repairs those nasty stained areas. It is possible to have gorgeous lush green grass again!
Step 1: Scrape away and remove the dead dry grass as much as possible. This is an image of how severely damaged the area was.
Step 2: Sprinkle the area with extra fine grind limestone. I bought mine quite inexpensively at a wholesale landscaping company that caters to professional landscapers and golf courses.
Gently water the area to help soak the limestone into the soil. This natural mineral product neutralizes the acidity in the soil. Let is sit for about a week.
Step 3: Cover the area evenly with quality top soil and liberally sprinkle with grass seed. I just used my hand to do the job and gently patted the seed down.
Immediately afterwards soak the newly seeded area with water. But only use a light sprinkle flow from the garden hose or a large watering can. You do not want the seeds to wash away. Do this daily for the next couple of weeks unless you have rainy days.
It takes about six weeks for the burned grass area to look healthy again and a few more to look nice and lush where I live. It may vary for you depending on your climate and soil conditions.
I used this system for about ten years. I had a couple of years where the seed did not take so did a reseeding and covered the area with peat moss which is readily available in my area.
You will notice in the before photo I had to repair a very large burned area from Duke's urine. We had one like this in the front yard and in the backyard. I explain in the original blog post why this happened and I share the story of our lovely pet who is no longer with us. I also provide more photos and detailed instructions to help you repair your burned grassy areas due to dog urine.

Time With Thea

• Sue

How did you keep the dog from doing it again?

• Heather

I've seen pills that you can give your dog to help neutralize their urine. You can get them at a pet store or at your vet's office.

You may be fighting a losing battle if your dog is a mini or very low to the ground. Just my experience. Previously had two long haired miniature dachshunds, I tried the pills for about 2 weeks and they just didn't seem to work so I just stopped. I was told by someone it was because they were so low to the ground but who knows. This was 14+ years ago so they may have come up with something better.

I'm happily living with brown spots all over the Back yard. It rains a lot where I live so I started making a walkway path with pavers. Our patches are just as large as the picture shown. Both off our deck and off the patio. So it's either pavers or very, very, muddy, muddy,feet.

• Nicole Formeck

Will this work on red clay?

• Canaan

If mixed with top soil yes but not on solid hard red clay

• Johnny

Does any of the ingredients effect the dog?

• Blanca Garza

1/2 teaspoon

• Pyesangel

Lin33161188, We live in Northwestern PA, where the Winters are long, cold and snowy, our neighbor would take an old milk jug filled with water to pour where the dogs peed. She did this all year long, whenever the dogs went and this woman was in her 80s

• Dee

Wisdom comes with age! We can learn a lot from this old remedies!!!👍🥰