Create a Small Water Feature and Add Curb Appeal to Your Front Garden!

$250
1 Week
Advanced

There's nothing more calming than the tranquil sound of water trickling from a water feature and I can't think of a better way to great guests to the house than having one right by the front door!

Now that Spring is here, it's a great time to start thinking about adding some curb appeal by installing a pond. Ready-made ponds are a great convenience. Here's one we installed on one side of our front walkway. Head on over to the full tutorial with the lowdown on how we did it!

create a small water feature, curb appeal, diy, home improvement, ponds water features

It is a simple and straightforward task to add a ridgid liner to the garden, but there are other considerations when the liner is going to be up against the edge of a walkway (as ours was). We ran into several challenges.

Walkway Challenges

When we first installed our liner it was with the recognition that one day we would be installing new paving stones. We actually ended up doubling our work because of that; we had to re-support the pond when we updated the walkway. This is how the walkway looked before we installed the new pavers. As you can see the liner is level and sits on top of the stone slab.

To dress is up, we bought natural flagstone and placed it all around the edges of the liner to hide it.

Be sure to buy different thicknesses so you're able to stack it up to different levels since you'll have higher gaps in the back and side than the front where it meets up with the walkway!

Before we updated the walkway with new pavers, it looked quaint but there was still lots of room for improvement. We knew we could do even better!

Notice that the stone around the edge looks a little skimpy? That's because we didn't buy enough initially. It's sometimes hard to judge how much you'll need until you've got the stone on site! Oh well, just be prepared to take another trip back to the stone yard.

When we finally got around to updating the walkway from concrete slabs to pavers (before and after shown below) we wanted to be able to easily pull the liner out of the hole so we could power wash it each Spring and then put it back, ready to fill with clean water.

B4 and after of walkway and pond
B4 and after of walkway and pond

Easy upkeep and maintenance is always an important factor to us. Our biggest challenge was figuring out how to remove the liner without disturbing the base underneath our pavers and having it all crumble into the pond each time we lifted it out.

My husband and I put our heads together and came up with a brilliant idea using some concrete blocks, construction adhesive and some metal edging that we had left over from installing our walkway. Head to our blog for the detailed instructions and pictures (where you see our logo below this post) and it will all make sense!

create a small water feature

Since our liner was already installed in the old walkway, our first step was to set up string lines so we could determine the finished level of the new walkway and where we needed to place concrete blocks to fall just under the lip of the liner.

When setting up the string, it's important to establish a slope AWAY from the house. You don't want to get into a situation where if the pond ever leaked, the water could potentially end up leaking through the foundation! Ours is positioned by the garage and properly sloped so we've taken adequate precautions :)

Once grade was established, we dry fit the concrete blocks around the front edge of the pond where it was going to intersect the walkway. We needed to stack the blocks two-high as shown above in order to get the height we needed. We kept taking the liner out and putting it back in as we dry fit the stones to ensure it would sit level once the stones were in place. You might have to add some sand into the bottom of the hole at this point to make sure the liner nestles properly.

The process will look like a mess in the interim, but you will end up with a pond similar to the one below! How's that for curb appeal?

The finished pond :)
The finished pond :)

I should mention that we ran electrical to the pond (rated and weather protected for outdoor use) so we could install a pump. If you don't have circulating water, your beautiful pond will just be a breeding ground for mosquitos!

To finish off the vignette, I also built the trellises shown below.

Final exclamation mark on our pond project!

Of course, once we got started we couldn't stop at just the front of the house. We headed into the backyard and landscaped that too!

Head on over to Birdz of a Feather for the full tutorial and pictures on how to complete the water feature shown today. For upcoming home and garden projects, follow us on Birdz of a Feather.

If you subscribe, we'll have an upcoming post on how to create another soothing water feature - this time, for the backyard; sneak peak blow) :)

Stay tuned for my next water feature project!

You can also follow us on: 

Pinterest;

Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB

YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT

Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG

Are you ready to attempt a water feature in your own garden?

• Pond liner  (Nursery)
  • Flagstone  (Stone yard)
  • Pond pump  (Nursery)

Birdz of a Feather

• Cora

Beautiful I love your project, pond,lol are our projects really over ? Mine are not do one, then my imagination just runs rapid.

• Birdz of a Feather

Thanks Cora! Yes, it’s definitely a domino effect. Once you start one, you might as well do this, that and the other 😜 it never fails!

• Gail

Do you have this pond and stones around it we’ll lit at night? Looks like a tripper in a small space.

• Birdz of a Feather

That's probably the #1 question we get asked and it's not a tripper at all. It was installed well over a decade ago before we upgraded it and no one has ever tripped on it. It is well lit; we have a light right above it as well as on the porch itself :)

We also took extra precautions. If you look at picture attached below and also the 5th picture in the post (the before and after comparison), you’ll see we poured a new concrete step and moved it as far to the left side of the walkway as possible so the pathway to the door was away from the pond. Little details like that are a big help and maybe that's why it's never been a problem.

• Chrissy Krainock Luders

This is really nice but my first thought was a buried tub- great for Amazon deliveries. Can’t see them from the street. The other day there was a detailed project box with locks etc. why not just bury a big tote or box? Thanks for the idea.

• Marcy Isherwood

I delivered some plants to someone and this is just what they had. A buried tote. It was obvious she had lots of home deliveries and they were placed in a buried tote.

• Barbara

Thus is so nice. Around our area we have snakes that are poisious. I would be reluctant to put this close to my house, walkways or patios. Wish I ciuld do this

• Kat Rogers

FABULOUS~ The New Pavers Are Gorgeous! I ADORE The Sound Of Nature's Running Water. EVERYTHING YOU TWO DO IS STUNNING~ I LOVE YOUR BACKYARD, TOO! I keep all this excellent information for the day when, God Willing, I become healthy and can have My Own House!

Thank you for sharing the beauty you create.