Mom4Real
Mom4Real
  • Lexington, KY

How To Start Seeds In Just 3 Days!

Life got busy around here this spring, and I forgot to plant my seeds inside. I was just going to forget it and move on until I read about clipping and soaking your seeds to help them germinate faster. Well, I tried it out, and it worked perfectly!
Black eyed susan vine.
Black eyed susan vine.
Clip your seeds a little with nail clippers.
Soak in water overnight.
Soak in water overnight.
3 days later, your have seedlings!
3 days later, your have seedlings!
Mom4Real

• Linda

Would it work on vegetable seeds also

• Sherry H.

I was wondering if it was just for the hard seeds, or for any seeds. What about the Zinnia Seeds? All seeds to be exact. I could really have a garden growing this year!

• LaDonna Cleveringa

I don't think soft seeds would benifit grom clipping. Zinnia, marigold,cosmos germ. quickly and would get mushy if soaked over night. Just my opinion after growing my own for the last 30 years.:-)

• Julie Dever

Agree, only larger and difficult to start seeds.

• Hawrt

I grow zinnias every season...just open the pack and sprinkle directly on loose soil...cover lightly with fine layer of soil (you can skip this step) then sprinkle with water lightly. Water lightly everyday, maybe twice a day - until sprouts show.

• Chr5548073

Very hard seeds may benefit from the use of hot (not boiling) water to soak in.

Peas should be soaked overnight and planted promptly. Don't water them again until they sprout.
    • Danielle Whatsittoyou

Hawr...if you grow the zinnia's every season, you can collect the seeds for next year from the flowers you grow this year. It's very easy! Once I make sure the seeds are complet dry (to avoid any mold or fungal growth) I just fold a little envelope out of a piece of newspaper and store the seeds on a shelf in my basement. You'll never have to buy another seed packet. I always have plenty to share with any friends that are interested too.
    • Char

And by saving your own seeds you can separate the colors if you wish.
  • B.b4977575

How much do you clip the seed and on which end?

• Julie Dever

Large, hard seeds like beans, can also be rubbed in one spot with an emery board before soaking overnight. I always sow them then cover with some old screen fabric for a few days....so the birds don't dig them out!

• Chr5548073

Very small, hard seeds can be rubbed between 2 pieces of sandpaper.
  • Shirley steinert

When starting buffalo grass seed, would this clipping method work?

• Charlotte Wilson

I have a window with two shelves in it. I would love to plant something in my leftover water bottles to plant and stay in on the window shelf. What would you suggest that is easy to care for and good at cleaning the air? Thanks in advance.

• Linda

This is great! I like the snippet of seeds! A MUST TRY!