Cheryl S
Cheryl S
  • Birmingham, AL
Asked on Mar 24, 2012

$10 yardsale find. How do I find out more about it?

Talk2cathyM. HowDiana Deiley
+10

q 10 yardsale find how do i find out more about it, painted furniture
  • 3po3

Well, Lane Furniture is still in business. Here is their company history: http://www.lanefurniture.com/AboutUs/ You might contact them directly for more information.

• Susan S

To begin with " Lane" is the manufacturers name. The second set of numbers designates the group humber and that particular item such as nightstand, dresser - whatever it is. Furniture companies frequently change groups and if it turns out to not be a really HOT group, may only last through one season. Are you hoping to find additional pieces? What are you trying to find out about it?

• Cheryl S

I bought it with the intent to turn it into a project, and didn't notice the info on the bottom till I got it into the car. I just don't want to desecrate a nice piece of furniture out of ignorance.

• Susan S

Cheryl, Lane is a respectable furn. mfgr. but in the overall world of good, better, best, it generally is considered good/better so I wouldn't worry about desecrating a "future heirloom" - that it ain't gonna be!! If it were a Henkel Harris piece then you'd want to think about it. Go ahead and project away and don't feel guilty about whatever you do.

• Cheryl S

Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear.

• Susan S

Good for you!! Now, take a BEFORE picture of the front of this piece (What is it anyway??) and and AFTER when you do your thing!!

• Donna McCrummen

Great $10 score! Here's what I did with mine. I used super duper fine steel wool to sand the cedar and now it smells like new. I used CeCe Caldwell's chalk paint.

q 10 yardsale find how do i find out more about it, painted furnitureq 10 yardsale find how do i find out more about it, painted furnitureq 10 yardsale find how do i find out more about it, painted furniture
  • Letitia

Your piece was produced 9/17/66 in plant number 2. Read the serial number backwards to determine the production date.

• Renata

@Letitia Very interesting, Do all manufacturers use this process ?

• Denise Boyce

If it's an Acclaim series side table as the style number would suggest it's worth about 150.00 to 200.00 dollars. Do what you will. [ =

• Diana Deiley

Have you googled Lane Furniture? It's a good quality product. They were known for their cedar chests. (I have one.) Whatever you have, KEEP it..

• M. How

If you have a LANE chest without a key, look on EBAY. There is a seller who will get you a key to any LANE chest if you give him the serial number. Was inexpensive and I now have a chest that locks.

• Talk2cathy

Great find! I have about nine Lane cedar chests. One important thing to consider is the lock. Check the Lane website and/or call to determine if you need to replace the lock for safety reasons. There was a period where the locks that were used could trap someone inside. I replaced mine through Lane an only paid postage. Enjoy!