Maureen C
Maureen C
  • Attleboro, MA

Leftover smell of smoke in car

NKRick LesterKathryn
+10

My sister finally gave up smoking 2 years ago but the smoke smell is still in the car. She was told it would cost $600.00 to remove it as they would have to take the car apart. Is there another way of getting rid of this smell. Thank You
  • Dee W

I've never been able to completely get rid of the smell, but shampoo the carpet (don't forget the trunk) seats and any other fabric and wipe down all hard surfaces with white vinegar. Next, place a bowl of vinegar or charcoal in the front and rear seating area and the trunk. It can sit overnight,be dumped in the morning and repeated daily for about a week. Change or wash the air filter. If you park in the sun, you may smell the smoke but in lessening degrees.

• KMS Woodworks

some folks swear by Meguires odor eliminator. http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Odor-Eliminator-16-oz/dp/B0036VQIKQ

• Loetta Arnold

Try sitting an open bowl of ammonia in the car overnight.

• Jeanette

The vinegar route will definitely work. Just keep an open container overnight for several nights. It works! It will also get rid of pet odors on carpet. Just clean the area with vinegar and blot. The vinegar smell will go away.

• It's Cleaning Time

Try a fabric pouch with coffee beans as an extrqa to the above

• Lydia O'Lydia

Zero Odor works pretty darn good. Ionizer works too.

• Belinda Todd

Walmart sells these small cans that look like cat food that are deodorizers. You just pull the lid off and it absorbs the smells. Works very well!

• Shirlie Armistead

Cut an apple in half and leave it in the front and rear of the car for a few days. Works great !!!!

• Barb

Would you like one more idea? I know charcoal is supposed to take odors out of things.

• Pam Kaiser

My sister told me to put unopened bars of soap in the car. It took a while, but I either got used to the smell or it took it out!! I think it took it out, because other people have noticed.

• Kathryn

My husband and I quite smoking 3 years . We used one of Febreeze deodorizers that clip onto the heating vents. Works like a charm.

• Rick Lester

Fabric sheets under the seats will do wonders on sucking the smoke small out. Fabreeze will help too. I have also sprayed disinfecting spray in the OUTSIDE vent, the one that is under the hood and cycled the heat and a/c, this also gets the smoke smell out of the jvac system. If the car is so equipped, change the cabin air filter too.

• NK

Coffee grounds, probably fresh but maybe used & dried would work too. Spread on newspaper, which also helps remove odors. Close the car & check in a while. Possibly set dishes of undiluted white vinegar around. Sprinkle baking soda into carpets, leave & vacuum out after a few days. Good luck & congratulations on quitting smoking !!