Sharon E
Sharon E
  • Ball Ground, GA
Asked on Mar 24, 2012

Anyone know what these plants are? Found them in our wooded area. The shrub flowers look like azalea I think.

Wda12256376Kat12471111Chris Betts
+10

This is a small shrub about 3-4 feet tall.  The leaves are small oval shape. Is this some kind of azalea?
This is a small shrub about 3-4 feet tall. The leaves are small oval shape. Is this some kind of azalea?
This is a tree in the woods.  Any idea what it is.  We have a couple of them.
This is a tree in the woods. Any idea what it is. We have a couple of them.
  • Erica Glasener

The shrub is an azalea and the tree looks like a crabapple.

I believe Erica has nailed it.

• Sharon E

Thanks Erica and Douglas. We moved into the house in Oct. 2010 and this is the first time we've seen these bloom. Nice surprise.

• Teresa C

I agree & they are both very pretty!

• Lisa Salerno

I thought the shrub looked more like a quince. hard to tell from the photo, and they can look similar. if it fruits, it's a quince.

• Toni Emmert- Burnham

If there is no fruit, the tree could also be a pink dogwood.

• Sherry Bryant

Yes Toni I thought the tree was a pink dogwood too!

• Stephanie

I think it looks like some type of cherry tree. I tried to narrow it down but ran out of time. Could be a wild cherry they seem to have white or pink blossoms. Could be wild or a tree planted on purpose at one time when land was cultivated and then swallowed up by woods.

• Mary

shrub is an azalea. Tree could be apple or cherry. If it has thorns it's a crabapple.

• Nancy

Looks like a flowering quince to me too. If it has thorns and fruit it is a quince if it does not then I would go with azalea. I live in CA and old farmhouse lands usually have this plant. It's one of the first harbingers of spring. Ladies go around to these old farmsteads , pick the fruit and make it into yummy jam.

• Chris Betts

This is an azalea. Where I live, a lot of people dump unwanted plants and yard debris in the woods, ending up with various plants taking hold and beautifying the great out doors or spreading disease into nature.

• Kat12471111

the orange bush looks like Alstroemeria's, a common cut flower in stores.

• Wda12256376

azaleas