Don J
Don J
  • Raleigh, NC
Asked on Mar 25, 2012

What is wrong with this Encore Azalea? I thought it was insects and sprayed several times with Insecticidal Soap.

Stephanie corleyTracy CDon J
+7

Should I move it or remove it?
q what is wrong with this encore azalea i thought it was insects and sprayed several, flowers, gardening
  • 3po3

How long has it been in this spot? Is this a recent problem?

• Don J

All the Azaleas have been in this area for 4-5 years. This problem started in the summer 2011.

Look at the leaves closely, Don, and see if the yellowing is between the veins, with the veins themselves remaining green. If so, your plants have an iron or manganese deficiency. Have you ever done a soil test there?

• Don J

The veins are green. Is there a product for that? Have never had a soil test done. The other azaleas in the area are doing great.

It's generally an indication that the soil pH is too high. To diagnose, spray the leaves with iron chelate. If the chlorosis is caused by an iron deficiency, the foliage will become green within a week. It's a temporary fix, however. In the long term, you will have to address the soil pH.

• Walter Reeves

Might also indicate too much water around the roots...which leads to root damage...and damaged roots can't take up iron.

• Don J

KUDOS TO ALL

• Tracy C

does anyone know of a home-made insecticidal soap recipe? I'm pretty sure I have spider mites in my gardenia tree.....geez, what a pain it is to learn how to take care of this plant!

• Peggy Rickard

@Tracy C Hometalk just had a post about making homemade insecticidal soap. 1/4 cup fels naptha soap, 4 cups water. Grate fels naptha soap, heat water to near boiling. Pour grated soap into the water. Remove from heat and stir until soap is dissolved in the water. Let it cool and transfer to a mason jar or another container - this is the concentrate. Use 1 tsp for every 4 cups of water. Pour into a spray bottle and use on plants. I was looking for this also. Copied it word for word.

• Stephanie corley

Add iron to the soil and put coffee grounds aro the plant in the fall and srping.