Larry S
Larry S
  • Canton, GA
Asked on Mar 25, 2012

Is it to late to divide hostas for this season?

Sarah A. VictoryStacey nagleMelissa G
+6

Larry, early fall is the optimal time, but hostas are pretty forgiving. I would not divide into as small clumps in the spring as I might in the fall, because the plants are going to have significantly less of a room system to support their foliage. Good luck!

• Walter Reeves

Good advice from Doug. I try to divide mine when the leaves are just beginning to unfurl...about two weeks ago in my neighborhood.

• Donna McCrummen

I've divided hosta in the middle of summer. They are incredibly tough plants. Just keep them watered. Thanks for the reminder. Must do mine.

• Melissa G

Silly question here, but how do you divide plants? I have established hostas in our garden, as well as established liriope. Is it just a matter of digging them up, gently tearing the rootball in two, then replanting?

Not a silly question, Melissa. Division varies by plant, but for hostas and liriope, just as you said. You don't even have to be that gentle. I've divided hostas with a bow saw!

• Donna McCrummen

@Melissa - I've broken a hosta rootball into tiny bits and planted them - you don't even need the shoots - they will grow. I'm not sure about liriope.

• Melissa G

Good to know! Great way to save money on plants, too.

• Stacey nagle

I use an ax

• Sarah A. Victory

My Hosta in southern middle Tennessee are just on their 2nd year but I am sure in Ga. that you could divide them now. I have used a long serrated knife to divide mine as well as a quick stab w/a transplant shovel.Good luck!