Handbuilt Vintage Country Kitchen for $5000

We decided to build our home as an 80% build, which meant it was taken to drywall and we were left to do the interior finishes. One way we decided to save money was by building the kitchen ourselves. I worked with Ana White to come up with cabinet plans, and got to work. The cabinets are a combination of (4) 21" bases - one with double drawers for upright silverware storage and one with a flip up drawer front to hide paper towels along with pull-out trash cans, and two standard drawer/door cabinets with a shelf, (2) 24" bases with open shelving, (2) 30" bases flanking the range, and (2) 27" uppers above the range. All the cabinets were built with 3/4" birch Purebond hardwood plywood and are incredibly sturdy. Plans for all cabinets are on Ana-White.com
I used the 24" and two 21" cabinets to make a custom island. I simply pre-built my cabinets, then screwed them together and nailed on some beadboard and trim to the back and sides. For my island top, we made a template of plywood over a 2x4 frame and took it to a local metal smith to fit a stainless steel sleeve over it. I used standard turned legs from Lowes to create a counter-height seating area for the island to fit some stools.
The range is a 1950's gas Magic Chef sourced on Craigslist, which is also how I found my $50 cast iron vintage farmhouse sink that I had re-coated. Pendants and countertops are IKEA. Here's my budget breakdown:
Vintage Gas Range – 450 (1950′s Magic Chef found on Craigslist in perfect working condition)Refrigerator – 965 (We already owned this refrigerator, purchased from the as-is section at LowesDishwasher – 505 (I scored it on mega-sale at Best Buy as a open item)Vintage Cast Iron Sink – 275 (We found the sink for $50 on Craigslist and paid $225 to have it resurfaced)Stained Concrete Flooring – 460 (this is an estimate based on the square footage of our kitchen, the whole house has stained floorsIsland Misc Supplies – 50 (beadboard, trim and 3 legs)Cabinets – 825 (this includes Purebond Plywood, trim, door lumber, hinges, door slides and paint, built from scratch)Island Top – 565 (20 gauge stainless steel fabricated from a local welder, Galisco Welding)Countertops – 300 (IKEA Numerar butcher block countertops)Shelving – 150 (7 sets of Cable Shelf Brackets from the Container Store, free reclaimed oak from my dad's barn stash)Hardware – 20 (two packs of 10 knobs for $10 each from Target)Faucet – 100 (Overstock.com Wall Mount Kitchen Faucet)Pendants – 60 (IKEA Ottava pendants)Pendant converters – 50 (two kits to convert can lights to pendant lights)Island electrical – 15 (supplies to build in plugs in the island)Venthood – 120Veggie cabinet – 45 Dishwasher trim – 15 (Kickplate and trim around dishwasher)Venthood cover – 30 (one quarter sheet of 1/2″ plywood and 1×2 trim)Total – 5000
Deep double drawers, I've since added a divider to the top drawer to store my utensils upright for easy access
two 21" cabinets
This 21" cabinet now houses two pull-out trash cans as well as the paper towel storage above
30" cabinet with double doors and no drawers for ample space to store pots and pans
full kitchen view. The open shelving was made with reclaimed oak boards along with cable shelf brackets
The back of the kitchen island, with space for stools.
Front of the kitchen island. We installed two plugs so we could "build-in" our countertop microwave and have a plug for appliances
I made the custom venthood with scrap Purebond and trim to cover our cheap 30" vent
The curtain hides the sink plumbing along with our R/O system
Custom vent hood cover built into place
A six-shelf cubby unit for veggies and bills
1950's Magic Chef gas range sourced from Craigslist
Vintage cast iron farmhouse sink.
Upright utensil storage drawer
Vertical dividers for baking pan storage
Brooke N

• Susan Damrow

Where did you get the sink.I too have been doing a vintage kitchen. I have been looking in ebay for vintage stoves but they are expentive. Love your kitchen

• Lauren Little

I absolutely LOVE! Your kitchen, you are very talented! I'm in process of getting my kitchen to the exact farmhouse feel I'm craving(lol) and this is great inspiration!! Thank you for posting:)@ Brooke N!

• Z

Great job Brooke!~