Asked on Mar 25, 2012

What is this?

KreislerAnnette CLaDonna Castle


I am exposing my ignorance about pools. Can someone explain to me the purpose of this? It is located behind a small slit fall going into the pool.
view from back side
view from back side
front slit fall
inside appears to be a small drain and water pipe.
13 answers
  • Ann W
    on Mar 25, 2012

    looks like a pond that is set up to feed a waterfall into the pool but if you use as a pond it can't have fish or water plants because of the chlorinated water from the pool---must be a shut off valve somewhere to control water flow into it---I would leave the water out of it and plant a tropical plant in it --or fil it with ice and throw in the beers for a party

  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    on Mar 25, 2012

    I thought that too, except it does not make sense to have the slit fall in the front of the thing?

  • Donna McCrummen
    on Mar 25, 2012

    Probably a planter.

  • Southern Trillium LLC
    on Mar 25, 2012

    The slit is on the pool side of the bump, and it is a curtain fall, supplied by the pool pump system. I would guess the exterior box to be a raised planter. It might have been done to keep from having such a noticeable bump that was installed for the curtain fall on the opposite side. I really doubt that this raised box was supposed to be any type of water feature, as the construction does not appear to be one that is watertight. My guess is that the drain is to drain excess water from the planter, and the pvc pipe is either tied to an irrigation system, or is simply a pipe sleeve that was installed at construction to supply either water or power (for a light) to the planter. Without being there, that is my guess from the photos.

  • It looks like a planter! It looks like they put in a sleeve for irrigation also in the bottom of the planter next to the drain. The front has a shear decent insert....fancy name for flush water fall! haha

  • Gordon F
    on Mar 26, 2012

    There are fountains at Lowe's that has a slit based fountain with a l.e.d light that flows down in front. The picture reminds me of that.

  • Sharron W
    on Sep 14, 2012

    Yep I'm guessing planter..

  • Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls
    on Sep 19, 2012

    I know what this is. I have seen this many times. This is where you can wash your feet before you get into the pool. hahaha

    • Annette C
      on Jan 30, 2014

      @Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls my first thought until I saw the placing & the rest of the photo's, lol

  • Sharron W
    on Sep 19, 2012

    @Acorn....Seriously? I DID think it might be either a place for a secondary pump for the waterfall if needed or a place for them to have some water plants and fish....

  • Jackie Estrella
    on Aug 23, 2013

    I thought it was funny Acorn. ha-ha.

  • LaDonna Castle
    on Oct 6, 2013

    I think it is a good place for washing feet. My first thought, too.

  • Annette C
    on Jan 30, 2014

    I think you guys are right, a planter box; so that if you put fluffy plants in the box, you would be able to see them popping up over & around the fountain from in the pool. That I've seen, plants around a water feature attached to a pool or spa. my 2 cents, lol

  • Kreisler
    on Jul 30, 2015

    It is a water fall area. A pump is used to push water through the slit which gives you a flat sheet of water, waterfall. We almost purchased a home that had two of them, one on each side of the path to the main patio.

Your comment...