Make Art : Upcycled Window Frame

On a recent trip to a local salvage market, I found an old window frame with only one pane of glass and a really gnarly looking stool. I'm still noodling what to do with the stool, but the window frame spoke to me and told me it would be the perfect project for the stash of shells we've accumulated over the years.
frame decor
I'm all about making my own art, here and here and this project was a natural fit for my 'make art' mantra.
My first course of business was to wash the window frame and glass. The poor window had been sitting in some warehouse for years and was a tad yucky.
Then I laid it out and started placing the shells in various patterns on the pane of glass. I used an glass marker (the kind you can mark wine glasses with...it will wash off) to mark off where I wanted the pattern. The camera on my phone came in handy to document my design once I had laid it out, but before I glued it.
I painted on small areas of Modge Podge Hard Coat and stared recreating my design. While the Modge Podge does dry clear, try to keep it just where you want yourshells as you would be able to see it on your glass.
I really love how this upcycled window frame turned out and think it looks great in my bedroom. It blends the paisley in my bedding with the beachy feel that our room also has. My pale blue walls are the perfect backdrop for the window and shells.

• Modge Podge Hard Coat  (Michaels)
  • Shells
  • Old Window Frame

Lynn @ Nourish and Nestle